Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

18" 870 with a polychoke2...9 settings

LAkid

I am new to this except for skeet & trap and (CAS)

I selected my guns on home defense and IPDA type matches

Not farther than 100 yards

I dont hear anyone mention barrel lengths in IPSC 3 gun for SG...I am assuming they are 26"..28" or 30".... hearing people mention .modified to full

I asked a question in Jflowers (chokes for shotguns) but it got lost from all the responses to his question

I have a Remington 870 sythetic express 18" 7 /1 shot the barrel is (IC ) to open for any distance intended for home defense and similar scenarios not to reach 50 yards. So I added a

polychoke2 to it...it has 9 chokes built in 2+ open to extra full choke and excepts slugs...I feel with this setup and either duck or pheasant loads and hot it will reach beyond 50 yards no problem.

Can I compete or use it with what IPSC uses...what ever that maybe...so far I have seen Benelli 28" with speedloaders

I have never shot an 18" extra full choke or tested it for pattern yet ...what does anybody think??

Its already missing 6"....but again it is for home defense and IPDA!

(PREVIOUS REPLIES WERE BRING IT ALONG AND HAVE FUN)

LAkid

you can definately use it. i'm also running my HD 870 in 3gun (18.5" IC bbl, no chokes, 7+1 mag, speedfeed IV-short pistol grip stock, six shell side saddle, vang comp large safety, and surefire fore end). basically b/c that is all i have right now.

there are many different competitions that use shotguns and each have different rules. even in local ipsc/uspsa matches, there can be different divisions. but, i think almost all of them would have a class for your gun. that's probably why most of your responses where just go out and have fun. you would have to check w/ each individual match to see where you would fit in.

as for the tricked out guns you have seen, they are used as well. however, red dot optics and speed loaders are only allowed in open class. in standard/tactical/limited/he-man classes, you can use your 870, but the real question is, how far do you want to take this sport? an 870 will allow you to compete and enjoy the sport, and you could do very well w/ it . if you want to win, however, all the pros use semi-autos. after a certain point, a pump will slow you down. that's why i'm looking for semi-auto right now, not that getting one will get me any closer to winning, but i just want to look cool like the big boys. :D

the only thing i would suggest for your 870 is to come up w/ a good reloading scheme. reloading is what action shotgun shooting is all about. in addition to the side saddle, i have 2 calif. comp 6 shell mags and a 3gungear bandolier. this is only an ok set up so far.

good luck

If this really is your home defense gun, I'd say use it regardless of what class you shoot in. One of the benefits of competition shooting is seeing how you and your gear work under the stress of competition and the clock. The skill at arms (notice I didn't say tactics) you develope through shooting regularly under stress could help you should you need to use your shotgun for that purpose, though hopefully it never happens.

There will be some class you can use it in and be competitive at almost any club you shoot at.

I think the main thing to practice as a pump-gunner is cycling the action as soon as you pull the trigger, rolling with the recoil.

Thanks

dghboy 315

Good to hear you use the same SG as I do. Your right on the reloading, been thinking about that alot...a real life scenario would call for being COOL headed, relaxed and focused (easy to say) but I'll remember or try to. I wont have speed loaders available like in IPSC.

..SinistrialRifleman

Your right I will try and remember that...under pressure is where you really find out if you're good, and all that practice you did pays off. I am not one to picture the match as a life and death scenario...but just enough to know that I will not choke or forget about the safety being on. To have FUN but yet reliazing its with a LOADED gun and not do anthing STUPID to get DQed! I started out with a REm. 1100 but I will stick with the 870. I remember my Unlce using his Ithica

hunting and just holding down on the trigger and just pumping away...what a sight and the sound!! I never tried it with any shotgun...or is it with just ITHICA?

..bennyhill

I am not familiar with the 21" barrels...I know of the coach guns, riot guns, 26 skeet 28 30 32.

In skeet I know they dont use anything smaller than 26". Is this a Tactical barrel? that is why I put on a adjustable choke with a extra full choke...to compensate for the shortness. I feel it will reach out as far as a 28 mod. I will be using also handloaded duck hotloads.

I learned 1 thing shooting cowboy (auto's can only recycle as fast as the blowback recycles forward again) you would be amazed as to how fast a single action vs. semi auto...(your as fast

as you can pull the hammer). Come watch them pump the winchesters 1 shell at a time for 3 shots...incredible. I cant do it...and I know with an auto its a matter of just squeezing the trigger.

Thanks for your info much obliged and will accept your wishing me good luck....I am 1 slow cowboy i'll need it