Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Competitor Looking For Tips

Wormie

Hi all, I was wondering if you guys would be able to critique my draw and reload. I'll be competing in a gun competition (USPSA) for the first time this spring, and I'm gaining many tips just being on here. In the video, I'm aiming at a paper plate leaning against the wall (I taped one up once, but it stripped some paint off). When I pull the trigger, I always make sure I have a clear sight picture of the dot. I feel pretty comfortable about my dry fire practice and my accuracy on the range, but to me, my draw feels a little sluggish and my reloads aren't as smooth as other people make it seem. Any tips on my draw and reload would be great! Thanks!

Sorry I'm new, so I can't do links, so just add this watch?v=xvmx4Xrnuro after the .com/ on youtube

Edited by Wormie

Welcome to the forums and USPSA shooting.

Tracking down your video is likely to be more bother than most guys want. Until you figure out how to post the video just don't sweat it.

As far as critique goes most guys will offer the following general considerations....

If you have never shot a USPSA match before make your primary focus safety, muzzle awareness and control. Just worry about having fun and taking it all in the first couple matches. Your solicitation for draw and reload critique is not really necessary. At the beginner level a second here and there on draws and reloads is nearly irrelevant, as compared to stage planning, avoiding penalties etc.

Have fun!

Thanks! Since I'm new and don't have enough posts, the site won't let me post links. I'll keep those things in mind! However, the nearest club for me doesn't start their matches until the spring, so I figured I'd get a head start on some of the things I can do while the ranges are closed for the winter, e.g. dry firing, reload, draw. I would like critiques though, because in the end, it'll only help me.

Ok amigo.

Do you have access to a range where you can set up some drills?

If so we can give you some live fire drills to practice.

Also for dry fire, instead of just focusing on draws and reloads how about setting up some drills that combine a few skills. Like I said earlier, a 3 second draw isn't gonna be what effects your first match performance. Movement, target transition and most of all basic stage planning is gonna be what makes a difference.

Here's my advice...

Get some USPSA targets, or Google the dimensions and make your own out of brown cardboard.

Set up some simple courses of fire in dry fire. Include movement and reloads, work with a timer and par times ( smart phone apps are ok) use dummy rounds to give realistic weight. ( if you don't reload and can't get any dummies PM me and I'll hook you up)

Good luck amigo!

http://youtu.be/xvmx4Xrnuro

Here's your link. Hope it works. Looks like you have gone all out on equipment before you first match. Might as well add a PAR timer so you can measure improvement. You look pretty solid for starting out.

One safety comment. Get in the habit of holstering your firearm before you pick up your mags off the ground. The range officer will be a lot happier with you at the end of the stage.

Good luck!

And for the the question you didn't ask, painters tape. My kids love to tape everything and it's kinder on the paint and furniture. I use it to tape targets to the door in the garage for dry fire practice. You can even shrink targets a bit to simulate a greater distance if your dry fire space is limited.

I also continue to learn the hard way that speeding a draw and getting a less than great grip leads to bad first (few) hit(s). Way slower than smooth consistent draw, grip, no bad hits.

Your rig looks like if it's not its first time to match. If it's yours, you'll love it and get sucked in. Good luck.