Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Safariland ELS Belt Questions

nms187

My wife and I started shooting USPSA (Production) this year, and I'm looking to buy Safariland ELS belts for both of us. We would also like to start shooting in 3-Gun this year, and these really seem to be the best option. I did have a couple questions on the belts:

1. Should I go with 771 vs. 773 mag pouches? I've read several threads on this and I'm still not sure. Is one better than the other considering we will be doing 3-Gun as well? I've also seen the "771 for the first pouch, and 773s for the remaining spots. Also, I'm thinking of 6 mag pouches.

2. I'm planning on the QLS attachment for the holsters, but I've seen some people say they used a regular ELS clip. Any recommendations?

3. We are currently shooting M&P9s and using Comp-Tac International holsters with the drop offset attachments. Is this a usable setup with the QLS or ELS attachments and still maintaining the 2" rule? Or, do I need something like the Invictus Practical Holster Hanger?

4. How do I size the belts? Do I match up my pant size to the belt size, or do I need to go bigger than my pant size?

Thanks for the help!

1. I think the 773 is more secure. You can push mags through the front opening on a 771 pretty easily if you hit it. Never had a mag fall out of a 771 though.

2. Ive only used the ELS so I cant comment on the QLS. Ive had no problems with ELS. Plus, for the non handgun stages we have sometimes, its nice to pop the holster off and replace it with a shotshell caddy since everything uses ELS

3. Dont have experience with the Comp Tac but I know the IP hangar will meet the 2" rule when you attach it to an ELS clip. You just need to double the lower spacers on one side to cant it in.

4. Im a size 34 and ordered a 38 inner and outer belt. The inner belt has about 6" of overlap and the outer belt has about the same.

I also run my holster on an ELS fork rather than a QLS, it gives me more options on setting my belt up for stages and I often run a shot shell caddy in the spot on stages with no pistol. It is really nice to only have what you are going to actually use in a stage on your belt. I would size the inner and outer belt at least 2" larger than your actual waist size.