Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

44 Russian in S&W 629 ???

festus1

I have been shooting a M29 converted to Full Moon Clips with 44 Russians for over a year. They work fine. There are several issues though.

1) I have yet to find anything but Lead Round Nose Bullets, and few of them. They work OK, just smoke and harder to clean. Mid Kansas had the best bullet, but they are out of business and National Bullets is one of the few left.

2) The case is just long enough that they will occassionaly hang up on a Miculek grip panel, and if you flip too quick they may fall back in your way. 45 acp is less likely to do this. There is .075" difference and it does make one.

3) If you are shooting IDPA, you can't use Full Moon Clips, you must use speed Loaders. I've yet to find any super trick Speed Loaders for a 44 N Frame. If you use Speed Loaders you're better off using 44 Specials. As the Russian is actually too short and doesn't guide into the cylinder at all. The Special is just long enough to fall right in with Speed Loaders.

Reloading for a Russian is real easy, but I've noticed split case mouths more frequently than I'm used too. If you decide to go forward and need some data, let me know.