Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

South Carolina State Steel Challenge Championship

ZackJones

Yesterday I got the paperwork back from USPSA so it's official now. On October 23/24 our range, Palmetto Gun Club (near Charleston, SC) , will host the South Carolina State Steel Challenge Championship. We'll shoot all 8 stages on either Friday or Saturday. We'll shoot 4 in the morning, break for lunch, and then shoot 4 in the afternoon. Additional details to follow but I wanted to get the word out so you all can make your travel plans in advance.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Any word on when registration will open?

July 1st at 10:00. We will be doing registration on the clubs.practiscore.com web site.

I'm still working out all of the other details which is why I haven't posted much about the match.

Man if I shoot this I will be shooting somewhere out of my state from the first weekend in Sept to the next to last weekend in Oct. with maybe one or two off.

Ok so squads will be by the number of guns not the number of shooters. How many guns/shooters per squad, 10?

Man if I shoot this I will be shooting somewhere out of my state from the first weekend in Sept to the next to last weekend in Oct. with maybe one or two off.

Ok so squads will be by the number of guns not the number of shooters. How many guns/shooters per squad, 10?

25 guns per squad. 4 squads per day. The reason for this his we'll shoot 4 have lunch and then shoot 4 more. We only have one bay that can run the two long stages so we have to reset that one. When we ran all 8 stages last October that's how we did it and it worked very well. Of course we didn't have 25 shooters per squad. Our plan is to have plenty of staff so that we can move squads through each stage as fast as possible. I had considered just doing open squadding and let shooters shoot any order they wanted but I'm afraid we may end up with backlogs. I suppose if that happened we could go ahead and reset the stages that are complete and allow the overflow to go back to those stages. If you have any advice for running the match as smoothly as possible I'd love to hear them.

25 guns per squad. 4 squads per day. The reason for this his we'll shoot 4 have lunch and then shoot 4 more. We only have one bay that can run the two long stages so we have to reset that one. When we ran all 8 stages last October that's how we did it and it worked very well. Of course we didn't have 25 shooters per squad. Our plan is to have plenty of staff so that we can move squads through each stage as fast as possible. I had considered just doing open squadding and let shooters shoot any order they wanted but I'm afraid we may end up with backlogs. I suppose if that happened we could go ahead and reset the stages that are complete and allow the overflow to go back to those stages. If you have any advice for running the match as smoothly as possible I'd love to hear them.

What I have seen is some rimfire competitors will opt to shoot faster by not painting between both firearms. It will often times work OK for rimfires as long as they realize they may not get to dispute a hit/miss issue.

I suggest allowing only a certain number of 2 gun shooters per squad like say 5-7 at most. Honor squading requests as long as they don't go over those issues.

• 2 weeks later...

How many guns? Can I shoot both days? Like limited and open center fire on Friday and rimfire pistol and rifle on Saturday.

Right now 2. If we don't fill the match up then I'll open it up for more guns per competitor.

• 1 month later...

Registration for the South Carolina Steel Challenge State Championship opens at 10:00am 1 July 2015. The match fee is $80 for first gun and $20 for second. Match T-shirts are $15.00. Junior price for first gun is $40.00 and $10.00 for second gun. Lunch will be provided for the day you shoot and if you want to buy an extra lunch ticket those are $10.00. Registration is limited to 200 guns. We will run 4 squads of 25 guns per day.

Once you register I will email you additional information such as a sample of the shirts as well as sizes available. Payment will be made by check or money order. As soon as payment is received I'll approve your registration and you can squad yourself.

https://clubs.practiscore.com/south-carolina-steel-challenge-championship/register

Are you going to have a cash payout like the South Carolina USPSA State Match? $100 bucks is a big nut!

You wouldn't believe how expensive stuff is. $400 for porta-potty rental, $700+ for tent and chairs for people to have a place to sit and eat. We will see how things stand as we get closer to the match. If I can do a payout I will but I wouldn't expect one.