Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ordering electronics from Amazon.com

I need to purchase an inexpensive laser printer. Amazon.com has the best price that I've found -- two thirds the local price. I can order through the link on the USPSA page (just ordered two cmputers/printers and USPSA got 1% of the purchase price).

Does anyone have any experience ordering electronics from Amazon.com? Good or bad experiences?

I haven't ordered electronics, but I have ordered non-books. I have a Braun self-cleaning razor and needed refills. Amazon had the best price. No problem in getting them.

Last order I placed with Amazon I cancelled after two weeks. It was a few weeks before Christmas, I wanted to take advantage of their free shipping (it was for school books), and they didn't do anything with my order. Bought my books used at school and cancelled the order. Not really a big deal, but sometimes your desire to save money doesn't mesh with their desire to make money.

Anyway, go buy it through USPSA. :D

I've bought a two GPSs through Amazon. All went smooth (I bought the second one because my son broke my first one in Iraq.)

I also bought a camera thru Amazon but, I think it came from J&R Music World. in which case USPSA would not be eligble for it's piece of the action. I could be wrong, maybe Rob can answer that. But in any case that went smoothly as well.

George

I've bought a two GPSs through Amazon. All went smooth (I bought the second one because my son broke my first one in Iraq.)

I also bought a camera thru Amazon but, I think it came from J&R Music World. in which case USPSA would not be eligble for it's piece of the action. I could be wrong, maybe Bob can answer that. But in any case that went smoothly as well.

George

There is a comission based link to J&R from the affiliates section of www.uspsa.org and there is a royalty paid to USPSA ... not sure of the percentage though.

I ordered a Dyson vacuum cleaner for my mom for Christmas, before the USPSA link was establish. They had a special running at the time, a discount on the vacuum, plus another discount on kitchen/house items. Once you add shipping back on it, it was still $20 less than going to the store. Plus I didn't have to pay sales tax, very important if you are buying expensive items. After doing my state taxes, found out California wants you to report all your mail order sales that you didn't pay taxes on, yeah right.

I have bought most of my school books through Amazon. Not necessarily from Amazon itself, so you can't take advantage of any promotions. Both new and used books were significantly cheaper than buying them used from the school bookstore.

As with buying anything, do you research first. You might find a better price elsewhere. Also Amazon is a good source for comments on a product.