Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm STI Edge thoughts?

TANFARM

If you want something with a "soft" recoil impulse, then 147's are a good choice. My powder choices would be E3, Solo 1000, CLays or even Red Dot. Work up a load with available powders and adjust OAL length depending upon accuracy and feeding reliability.

N320, ramshot competition, clays or ClayDot are all soft shooting, clean burning powders with 147gr. Depending on your OAL and what bullets you settle on, you should be able to load between 2.8 - 3.2gr of those powders listed above and be above 125pf.

My current load is 3.0gr of clays under 147gr bayou bullets. I'm getting about 132pf. 2.8gr got me 128pf. Because Clays is temp sensitive, I bumped it up a smidge to be safe.

I shoot a 9mm STI 2011 tactical for 3G. I have been shooting 147's with solo for some time. SOLO is cheep and fills the case. Recoil feels "soft" and it does not burn hot like some others. It does very from lot to lot.

I used to shoot 147 lead, then coated and some FMJ and now all I shoot is 147 FMJ out of my 9mms. In truth I can tell a difference in recoil less in the STI between 124s and 147s but there is a slight difference. Keep in mind I have whatever factory spring is in my STI 9mm. the FMJ bullets do cost a little more but it does keep the gun cleaner. All bullets shoot about the same. The FMJ smoke the least.

SOLO does not smoke much with lead or coated bullets and if you are going the naked lead route, powder and lube on the bullets have lots to do with that.