Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1050 .223 sideways primers

Hey guys! I tried searching for previous threads as I'm sure this has came up before but my google skills must be lacking...

I loaded up about 1000 rounds today and I would say I wasted about 100 primers with them going sideways into the case. Primers we're win sr, problematic brass was almost all federal, but some wolf and lake city.

I talked to a friend who said that the swager may need set deeper from what dillon set it at. Any other tips or tricks yall have found. It probably took damn near 3 hrs to do 1k as I lost almost all faith and was checking almost every case!!

Slow down the stroke a notch. Give the primer time to fall into the hole on the primer plate. With the Mr. Bullet Feeder I find that 100 in a little less than 4 minutes is as fast as I can go before I start having primer issues.

Use a phone app metronome if necessary for a little while to get into a smooth consistent rhythm without trying to vary the speed of the stroke. I find 1050 productivity over many 100 cartridge runs has little to do with maximum stroke speed and everything to do with avoiding failures.

Make sure there are no burrs on the blue tip on the primer feed tube; replace as necessary.

I will check out these things.... There is only about 5k through the machine if that helps. I did talk to a friend that recommended swaging deeper as he found that it was not set up properly from Dillon.

In response to the post though, I am going extremely slow while loading. Not saying what you mentioned isn't right, I'm just saying I definitely was not trying to go fast lol.

Also I have heard and seen a lot of inconsistencies with Winchester as well. But its just what I have right now.