Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shipping guns to California

It is my understanding that any pistol which ships across state lines MUST be sent from an FFL in the sender's state to an FFL in the state of receipt (only exception I know of is returning it to gun maker for repair or to gunsmith for repair/modification). That is a federal law and not a state law. As for California, if you are selling a pistol to someone in California, it must go to an FFL in the state and the gun must be on the California roster of approved handguns. And it must be the EXACT model with number shown, not similar year, finish, etc. Since you are not shipping magazines, I assume you know nothing exceeding ten round mags may be imported to Cali except for LE.

Note: if the gun is an approved purchase for LE, the roster list restriction doesn't apply.

This is the current approved roster for Cali.

http://certguns.doj.ca.gov/

Edited by bountyhunter

I dont think that is the case when shipping a pistol across state lines to most states anyway. I have received pistols straight from an individual to my ffl with no issues. Just wasn't sure about California.

I dont think that is the case when shipping a pistol across state lines to most states anyway. I have received pistols straight from an individual to my ffl with no issues. Just wasn't sure about California.

I am no lawyer, but I do know I checked the law when I shipped my brother a pistol about three years back and at that time, it was required to go from an FFL here to an FFL in his state. You can ship it to another state FOR YOUR OWN USE without that (I think) but if it is changing possession, I think it requires FFLs. I really wanted to avoid the FFL receive at his end because that seemed like wasted money to me, but it was mandatory.

Check your state's laws.

Edited by bountyhunter

SAVING MONEY

Only an FFL can ship a handgun via US postal service, if an individual ships it has to be by private carrier (UPS or Fed Ex). Their policy is to require overnight service which was about $100 the last time I priced it. I used the FFL at our range to ship a gun and it cost about half that, charged about $40 for his time and about $10 for the standard shipping on USPS.

I've done that a few years ago - contact the FFL before sending and tell him what you have! They will guide you on the laws there and make sure it is all legit. Like it was mentioned before, you must use a commercial carrier (UPS/FedEx) and for pistols, it has to be overnighted (any type as long as it says next day air). Laws there change so much and for the worse usually so just make sure you are sending it to an FFL who knows the regs.

non-FFL holder to an FFL holder inside California doesn't require anything special. FFL to FFL does so if you decided to use a FFL to ship, he needs to registered with the state ( free by the way ).
The CZ Tactical Sport is on the list.

Cali is trash, I'm glad I'm out.

We are glad you are out too.

Edited by warpspeed

non-FFL holder to an FFL holder inside California doesn't require anything special. FFL to FFL does so if you decided to use a FFL to ship, he needs to registered with the state ( free by the way ).
The CZ Tactical Sport is on the list.

That's pretty much it, I have received handguns to my FFL mailed straight from individuals (non FFL) using FedEx with no problems.