Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Scheduled Maintenance for an XDM 5.25

Just4FunLP

Does anyone have a maintenance schedule for an XDM? I heard someone mention replacing the striker retainer pin on a regular basis, and I was wondering what else needs to be done. I've got over 30,000 rounds through mine now and except for the usual upgrades all I've done is replace the recoil spring. I also had to send it back for a small chip in the slide at the slide lock notch, and when it came back I could tell immediately that it was more accurate.

How long will this thing last before it's time to replace it? It's my only gun.

Thanks

I run my XDM 5.25 pretty hard as I shoot 2-3 matches a month plus practice plus dry fire practice. If you do a lot of dryfire I would suggest getting one of the beefy striker retainer pins that Powder River sells. I put one in when I did my Powder River trigger kit and as solid as it is I cant see it ever breaking. I run a reduced power 14lb recoil spring and change it out as needed. The only other really important area that is often forgotten is the striker channel. Its amazing how much crap will accumulate in there and once its too dirty the gun aint gonna run til its cleaned (ask me how I know :unsure: ).

You may want to periodically check your magazine springs as well. After a year of use as my primary gun, the springs took a set & were significantly shorter than stock. Make sure you check the spring type before you order replacements, two basic variations that secure the base pad differently.

Does anyone have a maintenance schedule for an XDM? I heard someone mention replacing the striker retainer pin on a regular basis, and I was wondering what else needs to be done. I've got over 30,000 rounds through mine now and except for the usual upgrades all I've done is replace the recoil spring. I also had to send it back for a small chip in the slide at the slide lock notch, and when it came back I could tell immediately that it was more accurate.

How long will this thing last before it's time to replace it? It's my only gun.

Thanks

Well, I had my first jam in a match.
No idea what caused it. May have been a combination of sand in the mag and a weak spring. I cuss my shooting skills often, but never my gun. I ordered the mag springs and striker retaining pin today. I replaced the ejector and recoil/striker spring a few months ago.

I've also had a couple of instances in the last two weeks where the case was left hanging out of the chamber, like maybe the extractor slipped off...??? This has me a little worried.

I'm surprised I haven't had more responses from my original post. Could be a good sign I guess..

I'm a maintenance manager in a manufacturing plant, and from my experience if you have a piece of equipment that can't be allowed to fail you either rebuild or replace it on schedule. With as much time and expense that's involved with competitive shooting I want to keep the gun in top condition. From what I've heard so far, as long as I keep it clean, lubed, and the springs replaced every 10,000 rounds or so, and perhaps do a quarterly accuracy test from a bench rest, I should be in good shape. ???

Do the barrels ever wear out, or the slides get kind of sloppy? Probably a lot of stupid questions....

Edited by Just4FunLP

All friction bearing surfaces will be degraded with use (finish, slide to frame fit, rifling). The accuracy check you mentioned above should be a good indicator for when the wear is outside of your personal tolerances. Any issues I've had with my Xdm were self induced in search of the perfect trigger and load. I've come to realize that if it will only run on federal primers, it's too light. A hotter load that goes bang every time is better than a power floor load that doesn't (back to the primers & trigger springs). And finally, just because it isn't a 3K race gun doesn't mean I should treat the mags like its a torture test every time I go to a match (clean them if they drop).

My range bag includes a PRP spring pack, extra recoil springs, precut grip tape, fiber, punches, mag brush, & a hammer. Never had anything on the gun fail, but it gives me a few option instead of pulling out the backup gun.

Since its a factory gun you may consider reaching out to customer service & seeing if there is any warranty coverage or reduced cost fixes when you cross that bridge.

I don't know if it's the problem with your gun, but If you can move the extractor fairly easy with your fingernail or other object, it's time to have it replaced. I've had the extractor replaced on two different XD's by Springfield Armory free of charge.

I don't know about XDM's but my primary XD Tactical has definitely loosened up over the last 5 years. I'm guessing it's got over 100,000 rounds through it. I'm shooting one more match with it and then it'll become my backup/practice gun.

The gun is still accurate, or at least more accurate than I am, but it's taken a beaten and it shows in certain areas, and parts of the gun. I have a newer one so that'll be my primary match gun. I figure It'll be less likely to break at this point.

Yeah, all things considered I think it's held up pretty good. Below is a post from another thread where I list repairs to the gun up until about January of 2013. Since then my striker broke, the part that makes contact with the primer. I had to pay for a new striker, the first time I had to pay for repairs. They said it was because of the age of the gun.

Posted 17 January 2013 - 06:48 PM

Xd Tactical 9mm about 3 years old, about 90,000 rounds, still primary competition gun

Cracked slide - replaced by S.A., no charge

Cracked frame - replaced by S.A., no charge

Broken locking lug - barrel replaced by S.A, no charge

Front sight broke off twice - replaced by S.A., no charge

Extractor failed - replaced by S.A., no charge

Trigger checked and set at 6lbs, worn springs replaced - by S.A, no charge

My cost - switched to Warren rear sight, Dawson front sight. Powder River striker retaining pin, and occasional Wolf 16lb spring