Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Who is best for doing revolver action jobs now? Specifically on a S&#

punisher0822

Do your own work first - lots of info out there. Buy a Dremel and Carmonize your hammer then slick up the insides. I've done 3 guns and Apex has done 3. The Apex jobs are prettier and yes "better"/lighter and maybe "smoother". My IDPA guns are fine and done by me. The USPSA Revolvers are 100% APEX.

It's not rocket science...but close! Any of us can take a S&W revolver apart and polish the parts, install some springs, bla, bla.... But if you are going to go out and try to compete with your revolver, how many trips to you want to make only to discover light strikes, poor accuracy, trigger return problems...the list goes on and on. Bottom line IMHO is take it to a good, known, REVOLVER expert and get it back done right and ready to go to work...in the long run, it's not even much more expensive. Some of the greats are TK Custom, Clark, Pinnacle, Apex, Tanaka....but I looked online and discovered that Rich Wolfe, John Bagakis and other undeniable experts have their guns built by Dave Lake at Bentwood Gunsmithing. So I had two of mine done by him (627 & 929) and I have had several friends also have their competition revolvers done by him and all of them have been virtually flawless. Beautiful work, no problems at all and he is a nice personable guy who knows about revolver competitions and what you really need and what you don't. He's fast and reasonable on price. I highly recommend him!

Dave Lake

Bentwood Gunsmithing

180 Cassia Way Suite 107

Henderson, NV 89014

(702) 906-0930

info@bentwoodgunsmithing.com

Another great revolver Gunsmith is Mark Hartshorne of Pinnacle High Performance in Pennsylvania. Years ago before I learned and refined my own gunsmithing skills I picked up a used custom built 686 revo he was selling. It was smooth and crisper than anything I ever ran before. For years and 100's of thousands rounds later I used that revo for ICORE right up until recently without a problem. Still just as smooth and tight as the day I got it from him. I also sent him my factory 586 for a action job and target hammer & trigger install. Fantastic and smooth as glass on ice and crisper than fresh lettuce! He knows what he is doing and reasonable rates as well. Thats my recomendation based on my experiences.

Another great revolver Gunsmith is Mark Hartshorne of Pinnacle High Performance in Pennsylvania. Years ago before I learned and refined my own gunsmithing skills I picked up a used custom built 686 revo he was selling. It was smooth and crisper than anything I ever ran before. For years and 100's of thousands rounds later I used that revo for ICORE right up until recently without a problem. Still just as smooth and tight as the day I got it from him. I also sent him my factory 586 for a action job and target hammer & trigger install. Fantastic and smooth as glass on ice and crisper than fresh lettuce! He knows what he is doing and reasonable rates as well. Thats my recomendation based on my experiences.

Years back I saw what good work he had done and was trying to get him to do some work for me but after about 6 weeks of leaving phone messages and sending unanswered emails I gave up and did the job myself. It worked out better for me since it forced me to learn more. I guess the good ones get really busy at times.

I stick with the line from one of the Dirty Harry movies " A man's got to know his limitations" so I always have someone else work on my guns.

I've never been much on patience and now that the eyes aren't nearly as sharp as they were years ago, it's the best way to go for me.

• 2 weeks later...

I stick with the line from one of the Dirty Harry movies " A man's got to know his limitations" so I always have someone else work on my guns.

I've never been much on patience and now that the eyes aren't nearly as sharp as they were years ago, it's the best way to go for me.

That's my favorite quote and a creed I and everyone should live by. But to truly know ones limitations you need to try things to set those limitations sometimes. In the case of gunsmithing you need to be taught and supervised as you try. A gunsmithing mistake is not always just a sinking moment of disappointment upon a failure, it could be instant death or injury to you or others. So know your limitations through the experience of the experienced!