Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

TRP

1sickPuppy

What lb recoil spring should I use for my Trp shooting 230 xtreme round nose under 3.6 gr of titegroup @1.24 OAL? I'm using a 14 lb recoil spring and still getting some nose dive. What damage if any does a 12.5 lb recoil spring do to the frame?

I do not know If I would go lower than 14 but it is worth a try. I would pick up a few different weight springs and go practice. I use a 14lb with 200g making major PF. Problem with to much lower is the weak forward energy which can cause feed problems, also can cause a faster recoil which can cause more recoil to the rear...

Try adding a shock buff. I know there are some out there who don't like them, but if you use it with a 12.5 lb recoil spring and 17 or even 19 lb. mainspring you will see how much it is doing for you after a couple hundred rounds.

Try pairing your 14 lb recoil spring with a 17 or 18 lb mainspring. It's the setup I've currently settled on. I'm shooting a 230 LRN over 4.7 of Bullseye. It doesn't seem to batter the frame, yet the sights are waiting for me.

I'm using the stock mainspring, what matches up with a 14lb recoil spring? Shooting major loads, but want a flatter shooting gun...

Stock is probably 20-22lbs, an 18lb will place less pressure on the hammer during slide travel to the rear and also help your trigger. It will not be as noticeable as your recoil spring but it helps. Also get a different MSH if your still using the stock one with the ILS. Get quality springs, Wolff, ISMI, C&S.......