Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Modifying STI mags for a P18

Stevenb

I've done a search and there a couple of old threads about STI mags in a Para.

I've picked up a 2nd P18 that has been fitted with a compensator and I'm building it into an open gun, but it only cam with one mag. My other P18 is for IPSC standard and I have some 10 round mags with the 2 Alpha viper bases.

I know I can get a Canyon Creek mag catch to get the STI mags to work, but they won't ship to Australia.

I've picked up a 10 round STI mag for testing.

In the other thread there is mention of welding up the cutout for the mag catch, has anyone that has done this have pictures?

What other options are there?

Edited by Stevenb

The STI mags sit a bit ( ~ 3mm) lower due to the mag catch hole being larger. First, I would try unmodified tubes. If the feed ramp geometry is good and the bullet shape is good, they could work as is. I have an SV mag that works just fine. But if not, getting someone to add some material to the mag catch would probably be the answer. I guess you could modify the tubes but I am not sure what sort of can of worms you would open by heating up mag tubes. You could also try and find some STI for Para tubes but they are very rare as STI quit making them many moons ago.

Good luck,

Chuck