Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Surprise break and group shooting

Orko

I would like some suggestions where to go with my training. When I shoot groups I can use two different trigger techniques.

A surprise break from squeezing the trigger very slowly, this will produce my smallest groups but I will close my eyes as a reaction to the shot going off.

Or I can try to pull the trigger as quickly as possible without moving my sights, when I do this my eyes will remain open and the gun will return to target. This is the way I shoot when running a timer. Now there is some kind of timing working for me and I have a chance to call the shots, but the groups will be bigger.

So my question is if you think I should work on keeping my eyes open when shooting with the surprise break also, or if I should just abandon that surprise thing and try to work on my group sizes when using this quicker IPSC-style trigger technique?

Thanks for your help and guidance.

Really depends on the size of the target and the distance.

Most of USPSA/IDPA shots you will be better off pulling

the trigger quickly, while keeping your sights on the target.

Occasionally, a small or distant shot and you will need to

slow down a bit, and get a bit of a surprise shot.

Just depends on the individual circumstance.

Very important to keep your eyes open for quick 2nd shot. :cheers:

I'm more of the opinion the surprise break is a quick way to teach someone not to pull their shots. When I shoot I know exactly when the shot's going to break, but I try to ignore it as much as I can. If I am unable to do so I should know where and why the bullet went.

And now I find that just pressing the trigger through the break produces the best groups for me.

The suprise break is a technique used to mentally trick yourself out of flinching. It is of no use in practical shooting. Group shooting is challenging and rewarding but has limited application outside of bullseye other than testing equipment and identifying perfect technique. A lot of practical shooting is about establishing how far you can deviate from perfect and still get the results you desire.