Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Carbine to Mid-Length Gas ConversIon

BHanks

I put together a budget AR from PSA. I got the PTAC 16" upper. Since then I have been bitten hard by the 3 Gun bug and am doing incremental upgrades. I am about to do the free float hand guard and need a low profile gas block. Since I have to get a new block anyway, I was thinking I would upgrade to a mid-length gas tube. Is this as easy as it seems? I am eyeing the Wilson Combat connected tube/block. Thoughts? Thanks.

There's a gas tube called "the pigtail" that's supposed to extend the length of the gas tube to produce a similar effect to a longer gas system. http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/gas-system-parts/gas-tubes/ar-15-m16-pigtail-gas-tube-prod1591.aspx The one review it has on Brownells is not only dismal but well-reasoned. Hammering the nail in its coffin for me is that it's ridiculously expensive. I thought about it for a second, but at $100+, I'd rather invest that C-note into a proper barrel.

Don't know which handguard you're planning to get, but it may require changing the barrel nut. If that's the case, since you have to go through the trouble of swapping the barrel nut for the handguard as well, I'd shoot the barrel and handguard combo you have until you've got enough money to purchase both the handguard and barrel you've thoroughly researched in the meanwhile. You can then change them at the same time. Unscrewing a barrel nut isn't the most odious job in the world, but if you have the choice of doing it once vs. twice, I'd certainly opt for once... especially since you'll have to re-sight your optics in after each swap, which again isn't the biggest PITA either, but why do it twice rather than once?

Just my $.02.

Edited by jkrispies

Believe PTAC 16" is midlength gas with a fixed front sight base. Your gas tube is already midlength. Just need a low profile gas block. Would suggest an adjustable one as the gas port may be larger than needed. That, a good hanguard and a muzzle brake and you are off to a good start. A better than milspec trigger... Now the money is pouring out :goof:

PSA sells both a carbine and mid-length PTAC upper, so it could go either way. Yeah, steer clear of that pigtail gas tube as that's just asking for boatloads of trouble.

If you could post a picture of your upper, we could probably say one way or another if it's mid-length or not.

It's definitely the Carbine Length M4 version. Based on you guys' input (thanks) I believe I will go with an adjustable, low profile gas block that I can still use when I upgrade my barrel in a year or so. I'm also going with the NC-1 Handguard from Nordic Components based on reviews and price point. Thanks again for setting me straight.

Check out the MicroMOA Govnah. They're expensive, but one of my regular shooting buddies swears by his. I've shot his SBR that has one, and it does a VERY impressive job of fine-tuning the gas flow for both suppressed and non-suppressed.

I'm going with the Guvnah myself, but if the OP wants to go that route it needs to be well coordinated with the hand guard due to size and design. With regards to the Guvnah I'd advise to hold off till the new hand guard comes in (ensuring it works with the Guvnah) or go with a more traditional adjustable block that will fit under any hand guard.

Edited by jkrispies