Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1050 Index Arm binding

Not sure what is going on here. The index arm sometimes gets stuck causing some mishaps. Just not sure what it can be. I take out the arm and clean it up and put it back in. Sometimes it makes it a few hundred to 1000 or sometimes it just goes back to doing it.

Sometimes it loosens itself up and indexes correctly, but sometimes it just stays stuck.

Dillon Super 1050 sticky index arm - YouTube

Anyone know what causes this or has a fix?

Have you inspected the holes in the shellplate and tab that engages to be sure everything is clean and burr free?

Could also be the return spring is fatigued and not applying enough pressure.I have replaced several.

There is one other thing it could be, it's possible to install the return spring upside down and it's under way less tension if you do that.

But assuming that's right, it's probably that the spring is getting weak and needs to be replaced like others said, if there's not anything binding up the free movement of the index pawl (tip).

Could also be the return spring is fatigued and not applying enough pressure.I have replaced several.

Thats what I would replace first. Every 1050 owner should keep a few of these on hand.

How often on avg do you guys change the spring? This one is only maybe 10k rounds old.

There is one other thing it could be, it's possible to install the return spring upside down and it's under way less tension if you do that.

But assuming that's right, it's probably that the spring is getting weak and needs to be replaced like others said, if there's not anything binding up the free movement of the index pawl (tip).

Will definitely check that. Pretty sure it is in correctly though.

Is there a washer between the spring and the press casting? Looks like it to me.

I've also personally screwed up the assembly on the bolt and put the spring in a bind which causes exactly what you're seeing.

If there's a washer, remove it.

Nope, no washer.

I've got near 500k rounds on my spring now, and it's still going strong.

I'm assuming you've lubed the bolt well with a high quality grease?

I got a dab of oil on it. Will try out some nice grease.

Oil won't cut it, as you've found out. Gotta be grease.

Do you grease the roller too? or just the bolt the roller goes on?

Do you grease the roller too? or just the bolt the roller goes on?

If it moves, I grease it, except under the shell plate, that I don't lube at all.

If you grease under the shell plate it just turns into hard stuck-on brown gunk anyway. The most I grease the shell plate top/bottom is a light coat and then wipe as much as I can off with a paper towel. Seems to leave a microscopic layer.