Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Versa tube loctite?

GetAwayDriva

I have a carbon arms versa tube on my versamax. The tube extension likes to loosen up during the course of fire (sometimes up to 1/4 of a turn or more). I think this may be contributing to my light primer strikes because that nut is what holds the barrel on to the receiver. So if that nut is loose, the barrel can bounce when the hammer falls, and perhaps cause a light primer strike. (Not sure if that is actually the cause of my dreaded light primer strikes as I am still chasing the solution to this problem, but the tube does in fact loosen up and I would like it to remain tight.) So I was wondering what people are doing to keep their extensions from loosening up while shooting. I don't think locktite is practical since I will need to be able to remove the extension tube so I can take the gun apart to clean it and such... But are there any other suggestions?

I assume you are talking about the extension on the of the mono tube.

You could use Teflon tape on the threads.

Your light primer strikes could be the extension tube loosing, but I bet your bolt is out of battery.

The Versamax's bolt cam pins are a little soft, if your bolt cam pin looks a little worn (flat spots), replace it with a Benelli M2 cam pin.

You also may not have enough lube on the cam pin.

There was a whole thread on this a while back. There was a one guy who had a real cheap, non gunsmithing answer to it, but everyone was so busy saying that it didn't matter, it wasn't a problem, mine never does that, or just grind notches in the carbon fiber, he never did get a chance to share what he found. You might look up that old thread and see if a "fix" was ever given. I do remember he said the fix cost about .79 cents from any hardware store.

In my testing on the mono tube, I had custom one piece end caps made to solve the issue (teeth cut into the end cap to increase tension).

For the standard nut, adding a spring washer or o-ring underneath should do the trick, which is probably what Kurt is referring to.

Mick