Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

right hand must grip tighter than left. Is it bad?

Rikarin

I am trying to get more relaxed when I shoot and started to having problem when I do.

First, less strength in right hands will make me shoot lower left. Un-locked elobow makes me do same things and overall relaxed arms makes me do limp-wristing.

Is it bad to lock my elbow and grip stronger with my right hand? It goes agains Matt's and Brian's teaching, as you know.

Also, what elese can cause me to shoot lower-left?

I agree with 300lbGorilla, you must move thetrigger finger independently of the rest, and although you hand is applying strength, you trigger finger should be relaxed.

As for hand strength, you must maintain the same amount of pressure before, during and after the shot fires, if your grip pressure varies between these stages, there's a big chance you'll throw your shot off. I am more partial to aplying the same force with both hands, it's less confusing to me. Bur, sometimes, for the harder type 4 focus shots, I do apply less pressure with the strong hand.

Do try to unlock your elbows, it will create unnecesary tension in your shoulders if you keep them straight. You say that if you bend your elbows you limp wrist, well, I thin that the gun gripping and control happens from the wrist forward.

Experiment gripping your gun and applying pressure from the wrist forward only, the rest in a relaxed, but "locked" state.

First, less strength in right hands will make me shoot lower left.

Not likely. You probably need someone who knows what they are doing to watch you. More likely you are doing something else.

I can hold any of my guns with my left hand ONLY and depress the trigger with my right finger and they will hit where they should, and the gun does what it should. Most people don't get the right grip with their left hand. Limp wristing the gun can be fixesd easily with the proper grip, not much strength required, only proper technique. Make sure the left wrist is totally locked out, that is the key to a strong, relaxed grip.

I agree with 300lbGorilla, you must move thetrigger finger independently of the rest, and although you hand is applying strength, you trigger finger should be relaxed.

As for hand strength, you must maintain the same amount of pressure before, during and after the shot fires, if your grip pressure varies between these stages, there's a big chance you'll throw your shot off. I am more partial to aplying the same force with both hands, it's less confusing to me. Bur, sometimes, for the harder type 4 focus shots, I do apply less pressure with the strong hand.

Do try to unlock your elbows, it will create unnecesary tension in your shoulders if you keep them straight. You say that if you bend your elbows you limp wrist, well, I thin that the gun gripping and control happens from the wrist forward.

Experiment gripping your gun and applying pressure from the wrist forward only, the rest in a relaxed, but "locked" state.

Mmmmmm. I never payed attention if my grip are same all the way. Ok. Today I will practive trigger control. It sucks I feel like was shooting better when I shot first time!

Thanks 300lbGorilla too.

Glad to know its ok to have "locked" elbows. I think you are right. I was trying to "relax" and let go of all the muscle including wrists.

Loves2Shoot

Huh? You can do that??? Wow. I got to try. Can't wait for April's Matt's class so that he can scrutinise me!

Another question!

I was trying to follow front sight and let it comes back same place all the time while I let the gun do the job i.e. recoil.

Say, frontsight moves from 0 to 10 and comes back to 0. I can only follow it goes 0 to maybe 5 and 6-10 is too fast and blurrr, then from 5-0 I can follow again.

Do you guys REALLY can follow frontsight all the time? 0 to 10 to 0????

Loves2Shoot

Huh? You can do that??? Wow. I got to try. Can't wait for April's Matt's class so that he can scrutinise me!

Say, frontsight moves from 0 to 10 and comes back to 0. I can only follow it goes 0 to maybe 5 and 6-10 is too fast and blurrr, then from 5-0 I can follow again.

Do you guys REALLY can follow frontsight all the time? 0 to 10 to 0????

It isn't hard. I've shown many people that "trick" as a way to convince them they don't need an iron grip with their strong hand, no one has droped a gun yet, although I do it with only one round in the gun generally, just in case someone gets scared.

Matt will fix you up right.

There is no need (in my opinion) to follow the front sight through recoil. You just need to see it jump and then go to the next shot.

THe front sight generally will be in front of your face, where it goes in the instance of recoil isn't really important info, where it is when the shot breaks is.

i say do what works. grip pressure can be important. just last weekend, my dad figured out that by griping harder w/ his left hand, he didn't pull his shots as much. on the other hand, changing grip pressure has never affected my shooting.

most of the great instructors i've met usu. have a shooting doctrine. however, they will also be the first people to change things if something does not work for one person. i'm mean, they developed their technique by trying lots of different things and finding which worked best for them.