Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

powder choice 45acp

GJGary

• 2 weeks later...

I've only used Unique and W231, picked up a few new-to-me powders here and there over the past year so have a lot of testing to do: Bullseye, Competition, AA#5, and HP-38 (which I know is the equivalent of W231).

How does Unique compare to W231 as far as clean burning in loads around 800 fps (.45)

I am just beginning the reloading venture ((just ordered the press) and Unique is all I have found locally.

Edit: I should probably add: 200g LSWC.

Thanks!

Edited by TDA

Unique has a nick name "Flaming Dirt". In a low pressure round like .45 ACP it lives up to its name. It also produces a lot of recoil and smoke compared to some of the faster burning powders. It works so if that is all you have use it until you can find something better. Once you compare it to something like e3, N310, Clays/Clay Dot, RS Competition or even 231 you will see what I mean.

Edited by bowenbuilt

Thanks for that!

I'm trying to avoid the hazmat fees when ordering powder if possible, so I'm trying to see what's available locally first.

I was hoping to find one powder that would work well for 9mm, .40, and .45, but it doesn't seem like that is going to work out too well.

I decided I wasn't going to buy any reloading equipment unless I could find powder first. My first stop was the local Bass Pro last Sunday and they had Unique in stock, so I figured it was better than nothing.

Of course, I then had to go home and order a reloading press and all of the other accessories to go with it... :)

Welcome to the days of using any powder you can find. The interesting thing is with lots of people shooting lots of odd powders it seems to me we are picky over nothing. Slight exaggeration there but the differences are smaller than they are made out to be when we all have our choice.

Well I got 8lbs of w231 and managed to get 4lbs of wst. powder around here is a beast to find, I was excited to get this. I have some AA5 left and it shoots beautifully, really an awesome powder, meters like a dream. but slow burning and takes more to get the same velocity. When the 231 was available I'd heard it worked well and grabbed it while I could. I don't get enough range time to test lots of different powders anyways, unless I just can't get one to work in a gun I don't do lots of experimentation. (My buddy filmed me at my last match with load I tried and it looked like the gun was shooting pretty flat. I need to verify velocity and test for accuracy but I may have found a good one for major with plated 185s, next I'm working 200 lead).

Red

TDA, since you want to buy locally to try things out, a good idea so you don't end up with a boatload of powder you don't rally like, just buy pound containers of any fast 12b shotgun powders.

Here are some suitable Alliant powders I saw on the shelf today when buying heads. Bullseye, Red Dot, e3, Clay Dot, American Select, Green Dot. All are usable, except I wouldn't choose the GD unless that's all I could buy. I didn't see any, but I'm told that 12oz bottles of Hodgdon Clays is trickling in. Winchester WST is great and available now in 1lb and 4lb containers. In pistol only powders VV N310 and N320 are terrific powders, but pricey.

The Unique I bought was only a pound, and I picked up a pound of Red Dot this morning. I had lunch with a friend and he is going to give me some Tite Group to try as well.

Now I at least have something to get me going, which was my main concern.

I spoke to someone at the range a couple of weeks ago that was using VV powder for .45 loads, so next time I see him I'll ask if he found it locally or not.

I really don't mind ordering larger quantities and paying the hazardous charges once I play with this a bit and figure out what I like.

Thanks!

TDA, Alliant no longer provides as much data as they used to. Here are some target loads from an earlier manual using a LSWC bullet.

4.0 Bullseye, 790fps, 9800psi

4.0 Red Dot, 805fps, 9400psi

4.0 American Select, 780fps, 11200psi

4.3 Green Dot, 805fps, 9900psi

5.1 Unique, 810fps, 9600psi

My 650 throws Titegroup damn near perfectly. Works well for all my pistol cartridges.

Admittedly, Titegroup is the only thing I've ever used because that's all I can really find here in Hawaii. so can't speak to the benefits/drawbacks of other powders.