Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Slow Trigger

Smitty79

I can do a dry fire draw to an acceptable 7yd open target sight picture in near .7 sec. My best live draws at that range are a touch over 1.1. I feel that in live and dry fire that my DA shot is real slow. Is there a specific drill I can do to practice trigger speed? Or do I just need to focus on trigger speed in all dry fire drills?

I think I am spending too much time staring at the target or sights and pressing the trigger too slow. When shooting Bill drills, i get 1.4 sec draws and .2 sec splits, so I can move fast under some circumstances.

Usual practice temp these days is low 50's.

Edited by Smitty79

In your initial post you said draw to an "acceptable" sight picture. Could it be that you are drawing to a more precise sight picture during live fire than during dry fire. How about your grip? Ideally you would want to grip with same pressure during dry fire or live but some unconsciously grip with less pressure when dry firing since there is no recoil.

are you just drawing to an acceptable sight picture only in dry fire or are you also doing reps where you pull the trigger? when you pull the trigger in dry fire you need to be honest about whether the sights are moving as you break the shot aswell ...

I thought the same thing the other night after shooting indoors. I thought two things and have not had time to test yet. While shooting I wear double hearing protection with the muffs being electronic. I do not wear anything when dry firing making it easier to listen for the beginning of the beep for reaction time. The practice is a Tuesday night indoor where some simple stages or drills are set up and turns are taken. I tend to shoot them more like a stage and as someone mentioned I think I am allowing not quite as refined of a sight picture as when I am actually shooting. I was probably off .3. I am going to practice the dry fire draw on a hardcover or no shoot set up and push the focus up a notch and see what happens.