Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

HELP, STI Tactical hammer falls when slide closes and FIRES a round

Blackfin2

It's the sear spring being bad, bent, broken, installed wrong. At least this seems to be the general consensus. Look up hammer follow here on the forums. It happens to lot's of folks. Do an advanced search and put "hammer follow" with the quote marks.

I saw a while back youtube STI made video talks about how to assemble the lower parts I think he mentioned something about the upper spring tab must be at certain spot on the sear or the hammer will drop whin you rack the slide, you might want to look on youtube for that video.

Also worse case scenario for new STI you can send it back based on what I hear they are great people to deal with.

Which model tactical your pistol 1911 or 2011?

STI will fix it no problem. I suspect a problem with the sear spring. Either bent, leaf broke or was installed wrong. Sounds like the sear is being held away from the hammer hook as the slide drops so the hammer falls with the slide.

If you take the slide off, you should be able to use finger feel to detect if the sear spring is pressing the trigger bow and then feel where engages into the sear.

Dumb thought: visually inspect the sear tip. Is it OK or maybe broken?

Edited by bountyhunter