Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Working up loads and catching brass (AR)

jmorris

Working up loads on a non .223 AR recently in the rain and cold, I decided that it would be nice to have a brass catcher for the rifle and bought a $7 one that worked but not the best mounting system, so another $10 for a QD mount off of eBay and a 3/8 strip of 1/8" steel and I had found a use for a section of the rail and a brass catcher that mounts and unmounts quickly and is always lined up with the ejection port.

IMG_20150115_175342_392_zpsc008a3fe.jpg

IMG_20150115_174958_594_zpsfbfa0705.jpg

I've got one similar to that but it doesn't get used a whole lot. When it starts to get full and heavy it sags a bit and can cause jams. If you are only shooting off the bench with it for development to catch brass and keep them sorted for later, they work fine.

I cant post a picture but you can take a rag and stuff it between the scope mount rings so that the rag hangs over the ejection port of the rifle. It will catch the brass and drop it in a pile. Another option is a ball cap: run the front of the scope through the adjustment look in the back of the hat and pull the bill over the ejection port.