Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

interesting buffer setup.

Dewberry

I'm switching a standard rifle over to a more specialized 3 gun. The current setup front to back is.

Dreadnaught industeries comp

SLR adjustable gas block

Standard "full auto" BCG

Rifle buffer tube

Rifle buffer with no weights inside

A carbine length buffer spring.

I know the weightless buffer can cause bolt bounce but I'm willing to experiment with it for now.

I know the carbine spring may be questionable but it is more than powerful enough to close the bolt strip a round out of a full mag( it will never see a full mag anyway).

Started with the gas block in the full closed position and opened it 1 click at a time getting the bolt to lock back. Found the magic number was 4. (15 clicks is full open) I was supposed that it only needed less than 1/3 of full name open. But the rifle feels amazing and cycle 4 different types of ammo.

It was shooting 1.25 moa (which is standard for this barrel) and I was being kind of sloppy.

Double taps felt good. Their is a noticeable drop in recoil.

I plan on adding a voodoo low mass BCG when budget allows.

What do y'all think? Has anyone run a carbine spring in a rifle buffer system?

I'm running one of Taran Tactical's "TTI Ulitimate Light-Speed Buffer Spring" in one of my AR's with 18" rifle gas, Seekins ATC comp, Young's SLC (Super Light Carrier), SLR Adj gas block, rifle buffer tube, and JP LMOS buffer and I'm very pleased with the performance. If you measure the length and spring rate of Taran's spring, you will find as I did, that it is very, very close to a std. carbine spring in length and rate. :surprise:

Function is 100% and it reduces the secondary recoil impulse :cheers:

I'm running one of Taran Tactical's "TTI Ulitimate Light-Speed Buffer Spring" in one of my AR's with 18" rifle gas, Seekins ATC comp, Young's SLC (Super Light Carrier), SLR Adj gas block, rifle buffer tube, and JP LMOS buffer and I'm very pleased with the performance. If you measure the length and spring rate of Taran's spring, you will find as I did, that it is very, very close to a std. carbine spring in length and rate. :surprise:

Function is 100% and it reduces the secondary recoil impulse :cheers:

Thank for the info, that makes me happy to hear.

I recently setup a co-worker's rifle with the JP low mass carrier and Taccom low mass buffer. The low mass buffer indicated that it requires adjustable gas block. I believe that with an adjustable gas block, you are less likely to have bolt bounce issues.

Bolts don't bounce, carriers do. That being said, carrier bounce isn't likely to be an issue for you unless you are running a fully adjustable trigger with the pre-travel and over-travel set at nearly zero.

@reptoid - For your trivia today question: What malfunction is induced by carrier bounce?

Bolts don't bounce, carriers do. That being said, carrier bounce isn't likely to be an issue for you unless you are running a fully adjustable trigger with the pre-travel and over-travel set at nearly zero.

@reptoid - For your trivia today question: What malfunction is induced by carrier bounce?

Failure to fire. Hammer falls and impacts the rear of the carrier, insufficient force applied to firing pin, or none at all.

Click.