Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Lock ring for RT1200/1500 trimmer?

I have an RT-1500 and migrates between my 1050 (.223) and 650 (.308). I have noticed when I remove the trimmer from the trim die, the top ring that holds the trimmer will move slightly, meaning I'll have to set up the trimmer again when I next process whichever caliber the trimmer is moving from.

I tried a Hornady lock ring but the top threads appear to be different than the bottom.

How have the rest of you 'solved' this? Is there a lock ring with something that will keep the lock ring in place? I'm really not looking forward to adjusting the trimmer every time I want to trim brass, nor do I enjoy the idea of buying another one and keeping it set up for .308.

Yep I had the same problem. I bought from Dillon (because its such an obscure thread pitch) a couple extra lock rings. I then Drilled and Tapped them with a set screw. Now all 3 of my trimmer tool heads are setup to the correct trimming depth. Here is a picture of the die with the modified Dillon Lock ring.

post-12930-0-36046000-1420488905_thumb.j

Edited by anm2_man

Same here.

According to my notes:

The thread for the lock nut is 13/16-20.
The Dillon part number is K25-13559 (Upper Die Lock Ring for RT 1200).
A good choice for the set screw is 6-32.

Edited by roxfo

Man, these have gotten pricey. I bought a few of these a while back and really like them. Might work for your purposes. http://www.midwayusa.com/product/1100282628/forster-cross-bolt-die-locking-ring-7-8-14-thread

Those are the wrong thread for the trim die threads being discussed. I use thread locker on mine to keep the nut in place.

Man, these have gotten pricey. I bought a few of these a while back and really like them. Might work for your purposes. http://www.midwayusa.com/product/1100282628/forster-cross-bolt-die-locking-ring-7-8-14-thread

Those are the wrong thread for the trim die threads being discussed. I use thread locker on mine to keep the nut in place.

I see. Sorry!