Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Using a kindle fire as a master, email problem

BostonBullit

I always use an iPad as the master device for my clubs matches but I also help another club score their indoor match series during the winter and that club uses a kindle fire as the master. It works well for the most part, the problem comes after the match when I try to email the results to do all the ezwinscore crap. Practiscore preps the files but when it switches over to the email app it barfs with a message that says "the email app was unable to add the attachment".

Has anyone seen this? If so is there way to make the email work?

Sorry, apparently Pushbullet app is not available from the Amazon app store. https://www.pushbullet.com/

But there are other similar apps, e.g. Send Anywhere. This one don't even need a cloud storage and works between devices on the same wifi.

http://www.amazon.com/ESTmob-Inc-Send-Anywhere-Transfer/dp/B00AFAHUXU/

You can also use DropBox, Box, OneDrive, etc... those all need internet access and using cloud storage.

Euxx's suggestions are good and worth trying. I use dropbox to transfer stuff between platforms in a practiscore environment.

As an additional consideration, from your post you seem to be able to do everything you want for your own match from the iPad. If "ezwinscore crap" means creating and uploading the activity credits/classifier file, for this other match you could sync the completed match over from the kindle to your iPad, generate the activity credit file there, then get that over to your computer for uploading to uspsa.org. There is also a method you can use (I don't know what it is but I've seen it mentioned around here) to directly upload the file to uspsa.org and take ezws out of the equation entirely, which from your wording would appear to be a good thing, right? :)

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I've been pulling everything from the master into my iPad and emailing the files from there to the MDs notebook but I'd like them to be able to operate smoothly if I can't make it to one of the matches. It's good to be needed but not good to be required! ;). Might have to try the dropbox route and see how non-geek I can make that process.

Believe me Bill I live for the day when EZWin can be retired. It was a huge leap forward when it was first written but it's way past its prime. We can generate the activity report out of Practiscore but until the full results upload to uspsa.org can be done directly we're stuck with the import export dance. Yes I know we can upload to Practiscore.com, which we do, but uspsa.org is the "system of record" for USPSA matches and all results should be uploaded there IMO.

Peter

I have the same opinion about match results. Only results uploaded to and hosted on uspsa.org are the official real match results. I don't share your opinion of ezws. It's squadding facility is unequaled by anything in practiscore and I prefer it for registration for a major match, which is a multi month project. But that's not the topic here, so let's not drift off to something else.

Peter, We upload ONLY the classifiers to USPSA, all the rest go only to our own site. For a Level 2 or 3, I agree, but for a club match? I don't think it is necessary and I personally think it only clutters up the USPSA servers with unnecessary files. My opinion only of course. This allows us to post all the results including the 'unofficial' combined results that most of our shooters want to see all in one place. And it allows me to totally exclude EzWin from my day. (and that is a WIN!)

Jim, unfortunately that only works for people that are shooting matches only at your club. Those who shooting matches at multiple clubs they won't have a single place for all their results. As for cluttering USPSA servers... the storage is really cheap now.

Anyhow, according to the 2014 USPSA annual report (I'll quote): "After a year’s delay, the Board has given the go-ahead for a project to modernize the database used at the Headquarters office. This project will not only streamline office processes, but will enable new online services for members, and enhance ease of use while greatly improving information security." So, I hope they will provide a direct PS data upload as part of that project.

Clutter up the uspsa servers? Hell, that's what they're for. Load 'em up! It gives people a single known place to go to look for their match results, both regulars and visitors. Combined results? Load those to practiscore.com.

Jim, unfortunately that only works for people that are shooting matches only at your club. Those who shooting matches at multiple clubs they won't have a single place for all their results. As for cluttering USPSA servers... the storage is really cheap now.

Anyhow, according to the 2014 USPSA annual report (I'll quote): "After a year’s delay, the Board has given the go-ahead for a project to modernize the database used at the Headquarters office. This project will not only streamline office processes, but will enable new online services for members, and enhance ease of use while greatly improving information security." So, I hope they will provide a direct PS data upload as part of that project.

Actually anyone that shoots at our club can access our site. the results are not in a protected area. True they are not organized with any other matches, but any match you shoot with us is posted to our site and stays there. Right now we have scores up dating back 9 years! At one point in time we used to also put the stage designs up. May go back to that in the future. Anyway. If USPSA sees fit to allow us to post scores as easily to their site as we do now with PS for the activity report, I am not opposed. I just don't go through the extra gyrations needed to post at this point. I work 11 hours a day and match days are usually at least that long for a lot less pay ($0.00 in case anyone wondered)

Kindle's done have SD cards that I'm aware of. At least none of the Kindle's I own do...

How about this? http://m.androidcentral.com/sandisks-new-usb-flash-drive-can-connect-directly-android-smartphone-and-tablets

Very cool. I found out our range is adding WiFi with Internet access so I can use Dropbox if needed.