Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Benelli Malfunction Weird Cause

chuckbradley

I recently bought a used Benelli off Gunbroker. It went cheap. Now I know why. It didnt work. Shot it significantly for the first time today. It would not eject sometimes, other times it would not pick up the next shell, sometimes it would pick it up but not cock the hammer, and other times the bolt would get hung up back.

It was bad. So took it back to the shop and tore it down. All the way to the stock and recoil spring. When i disassembled the recoil spring I found the Damper Pin, Damper Spring and Guide Bushing all floating free inside the recoil spring. Apparently it came unscrewed or maybe never was assembled. the gun had very little wear when i got it. I can imagine the previous owner fighting this and eventually giving up and selling it not knowing what it was.

Here is the link to the schematic to show what i am reffering to. Its part 84,27,28

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/schematic...+%26+Police+#84

Once I put it all back together it seems to work. Will know more tommorrow after the 3 gun match.

Just a follow up. Gun ran perfect at the match although my brain didnt.

One other note. I did have a 18.5 tactical barrel but was having allot of problems taking down steel at a distance. I witnessed several yesterday having the same problem sinc ethe steel was out about 30 yards. I put a 21" vent rib barrel with a full choke and it was taking the steel down with authority with 7 1/2 shot 1 oz loads. Everybody said I needed a hotter load with bigger shot when I was shooting 18.5" barrel. The longer 21" barrel is perfect for the 8 round tube for limited.

Chuck,

I've been running a 21" field barrel on my S90 for about a year now. It was a vast improvement in every way from the 18.5 ghost ring barrel I was running. I was running Remington light target loads at Wilmore on Sunday with a Modified choke and the steel were no problem.

• 2 weeks later...

I also ditched the 18.5 with ghost rings for a 21" VR barrel with chokes.

Faster, better, and with a Fiber optic FS much easier to see in low light.

Thanks for the description of your problem.

Travis F.

I drilled a hole in my front site (rear GR) and a hole in the top of the sight bridge. Then I took a 1.5 inch piece of fiber and worked it through the site, gently arced it 90 degrees to go into the hole in the bridge and VIOLA! I have a REALLY bright front site for about 15 cents!