Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

RCBS Lube Die?

RadarTech

Ok guys,

Just starting loading rifle. I've been loading pistol a few years now on a 650.

Here is what I have and what is still on order:

Dillo 650 with case feeder

quick change heads and conversion kits for 9, 40 and 45

large and small pistol casefeeder plates

Hornady trimmer (easy to get and cheap!!)

2 powder checks

8K small rifle primers (some Wolf, some are CCI and some are winchester)

2K winchester large primers

4064 powder-- lots of it in stock near me...

h414 powder-- 30-06 backup powder

Xtreme 55gr .223 fmj

cases lots of them.. various

micrometer-

powder scale-- hornady

2 cans of 1 shot

a couple tumblers.

primer quick change kits

Universal decapping die

lee 223 dies

Single stage Lee Breechlock (bought it for a class)

Lee Turret press--- (bought it as a package deal with powder and other misc stuff)

just came in:

conversion kits for 223 and 308/30-06

large and small rifle casefeeder plates

extra tool head

extra 1 inch nuts

dillon swage 600

2 quick change kits

ordered:

redding competition dies for 223

Considering:

different case trimmer-- leaning Giraud

RCBS lube die

I'm holding off on the 30-06 until I get my .223 perfected. but not too long!

so questions:

1. Lube die... is it worth the $35? will it save the mess of having to deal with the zip lock bag etc?

2. Expected process- did I skip or have a bad order idea?

sort brass-- put aside cased that need trimming etc.

lube then decap and size on tool head alone (use of lube die if it is that good)

swage if needed here or after tumble

tumble off lube

load with tool head that has universal decapping (to remove media), power drop, and redding seating and crimp dies

3. Case length-- As I have already measured all my cases, 80% are 1.7495 down to 1.7420 those I will reload away.

thoughts ?

Thanks,

J

Oh...that makes sense then. Does the lube die lube the inside of the neck too?

I don't use a zip lock bag, I use a Tupperware container that is about 1 gallon in size. Squirt about 5 pumps of Dillon lube in, dump in the brass, shake it around, and dump into casefeeder. For rifle brass I dump in the brass BEFORE adding lube, then the expander gets a little. All my rifle brass goes back to the tumbler after sizing/trimming.

You might find that it may be easier to just trim on the processing head with a Dillon trimmer. Eliminates the pre-sort by length, just run everything thru the processing head...

imho

jj

Oh...that makes sense then. Does the lube die lube the inside of the neck too?

I don't use a zip lock bag, I use a Tupperware container that is about 1 gallon in size. Squirt about 5 pumps of Dillon lube in, dump in the brass, shake it around, and dump into casefeeder. For rifle brass I dump in the brass BEFORE adding lube, then the expander gets a little. All my rifle brass goes back to the tumbler after sizing/trimming.

You might find that it may be easier to just trim on the processing head with a Dillon trimmer. Eliminates the pre-sort by length, just run everything thru the processing head...

imho

jj

This is exactly what I do, and I'm pretty happy with it. I just assume run it all through the processing toolhead over sorting it if it is hosing ammo.

For precision .223, I use the same process but keep it sorted by headstamp and number of firings.

• 2 weeks later...

I have an RCBS lube die. It does not work that well as advertised. I load on a 650 and spray the cases with dillon lube before putting them into the hopper. I deprime with the lube die on station one, this has the added effect of spreading the lube around a little, adding a little lube to cases that need it and taking a little off those with too much.

I found that at the rate you can load on a Dillon the lube die cant keep up with the demand and its a pain in the butt to load with the rcbs lube and if you forget to take the die out all the lube runs out of it and all over your press.

The lube die does not get the inside of the necks, in .223 with a carbide expander ball and just a little lube in clean cases, this is not an issue.