Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Seekins Precesion Barrel

NateTSU

http://swfa.com/Seekins-Precision-18-223-Wylde-SS-Barrel-P76636.aspx

I am thinking about replacing my factory 16" barrel with this barrel, on paper this looks like a really good barrel being 18" and rifle length gas system. The main use of this rifle will be 3gun. Does anyone have any experience with Seekins? I have a gift card burning a hole in my pocket right now.

Edited by NateTSU

Nothing wrong with the 16" barrel just wanting an upgrade and a local dealer has these barrels. Currently the rifle is around 2-3moa, with the limiting factor being the red dot and next the shooter. The matches I shoot at have had shots out to 600 yards so I am planning on building a TacOps division rifle. So far I have upgraded the trigger next will be the barrel and finally the optic. I am anxious to see the new scope that vortex has coming out, sounds like it could be what I need to finish this project.

2-3 MOA? Not my favorite term because we toss it around with it meaning in context 2-3 inch groups at 100 yards.

If a guy has a 1MOA gun then show the 1moa group at 300 or better then we have something. Some guys can and do!

OK enough of that...

Questions...on the current carbine is the barrel free floated? What AMMO? Have you shot smaller groups with other guns?

What optic?

Just trying to keep you from buying things you don't need...IF you want it...great buy it.

2-3 MOA? Not my favorite term because we toss it around with it meaning in context 2-3 inch groups at 100 yards.

If a guy has a 1MOA gun then show the 1moa group at 300 or better then we have something. Some guys can and do!

OK enough of that...

Questions...on the current carbine is the barrel free floated? What AMMO? Have you shot smaller groups with other guns?

What optic?

Just trying to keep you from buying things you don't need...IF you want it...great buy it.

Ammunition is hand loaded 55gr FBHP with 24.5 grains of Varget loaded on a Hornady Lock & Load progressive press. I know Varget is not the ideal powder for a 16" barrel but it is what I have available. I have tried Hornady 75 gr BTHP and had similar results.

Yes the Barrel is free floated, handguard is a Midwest Industries SSGen2 12".

I have not shot smaller groups with this carbine, the Optic is currently a Vortex strikfire with 4moa dot. I have not had any magnified optic on this carbine.

As for better groups with other rifles yes, much much better with a .223, 22-250, .260 6.5x284 etc. I have much more experience with bench rest and f-class than I do with multigun.

Heck man if you had stated at the start you were an experienced F classer and bench rester I would have said...that barrel sucks get a new one!

Seekins and Black Hole are my first choices. But you have many good choices and none have to be expensive!

Nordic and VooDoo too.

Seekins it is! Seekins and Nordic were my main two choices. Both are available from local suppliers, I just happen to get a gift card to SWFA and they carry Seekins barrels. I still have a lot to learn about the game but with some upgrades to my rifle I think it could be the strongest part of my game.

If you are wanting smaller groups and long range capability use that gift card to SWFA to put a magnified optic and a good mount on the rifle.

You can have the greatest hummer barrel in the world and it will not change the fact that you are trying to shoot groups with an unmagnified, 4 MOA dot.

My point being that the optic will bring you immediate improvement where if you do barrel first you will likely not see the gain you are looking for until the optic goes on.

Also Varget is a fine powder for 223. Try some 69 gr SMK for the longer stuff.

Edited by ToddKS

I agree varget is a good powder for .223juststating it's not ideal for a 16" barrel, I think XBR Benchmark or BLC-2 would be better suited for lighter bullets a progressive press and shorter barrels. Also the 69 grain Smk is a great bullet for long range, personally have shot them out to 800 out of a bolt action .223.

As for the optic I am looking at the new 1-4 from SWFA but it isn't shipping until the spring time.

Also heard about a new 1-6 Vortex coming out soon, and there is always the Vortex PST 1-4. My price rang is around 500 for a new optic and it am still undecided on what scope I am going to get. What I have decided on is a new barrel. I agree that the immediate improvement would be to upgrade the optics but until I get more information on the optics I'm not going to spend the money on it.

Edited by NateTSU

Magnified optics are not required to play this game or even to shoot small groups. While the sighting system that the OP is using may not be ideal, that does not mean that it is not capable. Magnified optics may make people feel like they are having more success on stages, but magnification does not improve trigger control, follow through, or any other SKILL that is required to be successful. Most importantly it does not increase the enjoyment one feels when hitting the targets. If you want to shoot scope tac then that is one thing, but do not be fooled into thinking that you need to to hit the targets, or that it is more fun than limited, it's not.