Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

reaload times...

G Kuper

Been lurking here for awhile and gotten tons of great info. B/C of this site I went and bought a timer to practice with, so of course I wanna know how I'm doing...

I'm shooting from IWB behind the hip under sweater-type cover.

My 'in the groove' times for draw-shoot one-reload-shoot one are at 4.25. This is with 80% As at 7yds. The other 20% are close Bs or the occasional awful dropped shot :).

I'm not a classified shooter and only shoot at my local ranges informal matches, so I'm just trying to get an idea of where I stand on this drill. Of course I have many other benchmark questions but I'll avoid asking them 'cause at some point it becomes ridiculous/painful ;).

Thanks for any info.

I tried it without concealment, but same IWB behind hip.

I average about 3.3 there. I'm trying to figure out what needs to be trimmed to get closer to 2 sec 'cause right now I feel like I'm BLAZIN'. Have to stop and collect my self afer every coupla gos.

:)

You've got everything you need.

A timer, and the will to improve.

Now that you can nail the 3.3, set your timer for a par time of 3.2 and dry fire the drill till you can do it everytime. Then repeat at 3.1...

I've gotten as low as 1.7 in dry fire for that drill, but the key is...you can't TRY to go faster. the desire to go faster will cause it to happen. In dry fire, make sure you're seeing something and not just yanking the trigger to make the time.

SA

I shoot a little IDPA from time to time. I am kinda gamey though because I use a Kydex holster. I haven't tried the drill in question but I have timed the slide lock reloads, tactical reload, and the draw from concealment.

Four seconds for a draw from concealment followed by a slide lock reload isn't that bad. Reloading a single stack from concealment with the mag behind the point of the hip takes a while to accomplish.

Doing this drill with an IPSC rig in 2 seconds isn't exactly a piece of cake either.

G, I suggest you break up those movements and find out where you need to work on. Doing multiple actions gets very frustrating if even the basics need to be improved. Remember that integrating 2 or more actions is an effort in itself. Separate the draw from the reload first and cut your times there. That's my 2c. :) BE safe.

Thanks for the advice.

One thing that I was doing was to break the whole drill down. I did everything relatively slow and kinda pause between each distinct movement. I used the pause to look back at the preceeding action and determine if it went well.

It makes more sense to drill each movement independently.

My time to draw and hit the A at 10 yards falls between 1.25 and 1.5s from an unconcealed concealment holster behind my hip, and I would guess my reloads are about 1.5 up to 2 seconds when I suffer a bobble.  I've never shot the drill you describe, but I suppose I would take between 3 and 4 secs to do it.  I'm a D class shooter moving into C class--right around 40% to 45% HF on my classifiers.  So there's a benchmark for you.

I'm gonna go dry fire now, so you don't get too far ahead of me.  :)

Semper Fi,

DogmaDog