Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1050 Casefeed Launching Brass/Binding

I currently own both a Super 1050 and XL650.

Garage_zps12c9765e.jpg

I only process brass on my 1050 and load on the 650.

I process a lot of 223, 300BLK and some 308.

In processing the 223 there is the continuing issue with the case not engaging the shell plate fully prior to shell plate starting to rotate.

Hopefully those of you with a 1050 are familiar with this situation and what happens next.

Either you fully stop, release handle pressure and manually pull back on the casefeed plungeruntil it will go forward and slide case into shell plate or if you are really unlucky it binds real quick before launching the case into orbit (I have had them fly halfway across my garage at great speed)

I have recently added an Autodrive which now only accelerates all of the above.

I am looking at making the modification as shown below and was curious if anyone else had ever looked at something like this?

1050CaseFeedModification_zpsbe0d1775.jpg

Does anyone see any reason why this should not be tried?

Im not too concerned about my warranty as there really isnt any with a 1050 let alone after bolting an Autodrive on.

Edited by JohnH1313

I think you are asking for trouble to try that modification.

Centrifugal force tries to sling the cases out of the shell plate, and that area holds the case in place to the next station. With that modification there will be nothing to hold it in the shell plate, and I think you will get cases wedged against the frame and the front corner of the shell plate cutout.

If you “have to” try some kind of mod, why not try something not so dramatic, like reducing the Plunger Roller (#13498) a few thousandths of an inch to let the plunger extend just a hair further.

I don’t have that problem, and if I did I would not go cutting on the frame of the unit. You would be better off sending it back to Dillon to see if they could determine what is wrong.

I do not have one of the new plunger yet but Dillon is sending me one to try.

I have been in contact with Dillon and sent them this same information asking for their feedback as well.

Ron, you say you are not having this problem, are you loading/processing 223 as I am?

I do not have one of the new plunger yet but Dillon is sending me one to try.

I have been in contact with Dillon and sent them this same information asking for their feedback as well.

Ron, you say you are not having this problem, are you loading/processing 223 as I am?

Yes, I load .223 but not with an auto drive.

Does anyone see any reason why this should not be tried?

I generally prefer to modify parts I can replace or at least return them to original condition.

The cast iron frame is not one of them. If the mod negatively effects operation your SOL.

Ive processed over 50k 223 on a 1050 with auto drive. Never really had an issue with the cases hanging up and launching. Its something in the adjustment of the press or get the new cam plate from the above link or the newer Dillon one(which has almost the same profile I believe). Slows the plunger down. Both my machines have the updated plate from Dillon.

Make sure you have the right plunger. I had my 308 plunger in one time when I switched back to 223 and the cases were all over the place. I also put a pretty decent coating of grease in the plunger mechanism so it glides smoothly. Keep an extra spring on hand.

I helped a guy trouble shoot a 650 with case feeder that was doing this and his shell plate was not tight enough and was wobbling ever so slightly. On the 1050's I always tighten down till it wont turn at all then back off 1/4 turn. I grease all the center contact areas as well.

Ive processed over 50k 223 on a 1050 with auto drive. Never really had an issue with the cases hanging up and launching. Its something in the adjustment of the press or get the new cam plate from the above link or the newer Dillon one(which has almost the same profile I believe). Slows the plunger down. Both my machines have the updated plate from Dillon.

Make sure you have the right plunger. I had my 308 plunger in one time when I switched back to 223 and the cases were all over the place. I also put a pretty decent coating of grease in the plunger mechanism so it glides smoothly. Keep an extra spring on hand.

I helped a guy trouble shoot a 650 with case feeder that was doing this and his shell plate was not tight enough and was wobbling ever so slightly. On the 1050's I always tighten down till it wont turn at all then back off 1/4 turn. I grease all the center contact areas as well.

Your auto-drive may be slower than his. My auto-drive runs at 2500 rounds per hour for processing. Case ejection was an issue until Skip.

Edited by Brassaholic13

This is a bone stock 1050 dillon sent me that I added a KISS feeder to loading .223 at a rate of 2400 an hour, by hand, on a POS old partical board desk.

Your arm slows down at the top of the stroke when the press indexes. You might be doing 2400/hr, but your slowing down at the critical moment. An auto-drive isn't slowing it's rate at that pivotal moment.

Your auto-drive may be slower than his. My auto-drive runs at 2500 rounds per hour for processing. Case ejection was an issue until Skip.

im only running mine at 1000 rounds per hour. Im thinking I could run it faster for 5.56 and 308 processing, but not for 300BLK. 300BLK single pass at 1200rph on the RT1500 trimmer was leaving a lot of shavings on the case mouth, 1000rph basically took care of that(about 90% clean cuts). Im thinking like 950rph would be the sweet spot, but im not going to mess with it since my stainless tumbler cleans the mouths 100%. Surprisingly the RT1200 gave me 100% clean cuts at 1200RPH. Im thinking the RT1200 runs slightly faster than the 1500 due to its smaller size.

im only running mine at 1000 rounds per hour. Im thinking I could run it faster for 5.56 and 308 processing, but not for 300BLK. 300BLK single pass at 1200rph on the RT1500 trimmer was leaving a lot of shavings on the case mouth, 1000rph basically took care of that(about 90% clean cuts). Im thinking like 950rph would be the sweet spot, but im not going to mess with it since my stainless tumbler cleans the mouths 100%. Surprisingly the RT1200 gave me 100% clean cuts at 1200RPH. Im thinking the RT1200 runs slightly faster than the 1500 due to its smaller size.

Actually, if you look really closely, with a single stage pass on .300 blk, the cutter is engaging before the trimmer. To prove this, put a vertical black line on the case body to where you can see it. Then slowly lower the tool head until the trimmer contacts the case. You can watch it spin. That's what's giving you the unclean cuts.

Actually, if you look really closely, with a single stage pass on .300 blk, the cutter is engaging before the trimmer. To prove this, put a vertical black line on the case body to where you can see it. Then slowly lower the tool head until the trimmer contacts the case. You can watch it spin. That's what's giving you the unclean cuts.

Ive done a lot of checking to see if I was getting case spin and really dont think I am/was. I am always concerned with case spin for forming die life. I talked to the Dillon engineers when I got my prototype 1500 and they said the feed rate with how much I am cutting was around 1000RPH and as soon as I slowed the machine down the swarf went away almost completely. They said the spindle/bit holder was the same length as the 1200(or at least it was supposed to be). The only change to my setup I made was going from the RT1200 to the RT1500 and the swarf appeared. It cleans up perfectly in my stainless tumbler, but then my tumbling drums and media are full of shavings which sucks.

Ive done a lot of checking to see if I was getting case spin and really dont think I am/was. I am always concerned with case spin for forming die life. I talked to the Dillon engineers when I got my prototype 1500 and they said the feed rate with how much I am cutting was around 1000RPH and as soon as I slowed the machine down the swarf went away almost completely. They said the spindle/bit holder was the same length as the 1200(or at least it was supposed to be). The only change to my setup I made was going from the RT1200 to the RT1500 and the swarf appeared. It cleans up perfectly in my stainless tumbler, but then my tumbling drums and media are full of shavings which sucks.

Run your brass through the media separator prior to tumbling. You can spin out most of the shavings.

I had this problem running my 1050 by hand.

I raised the expander ball/decapper as high as I could in the die.

Solved my problem.

YMMV

1/4" of protrusion of the pin is what Dillon recommends. Ive also seen a lot of other manufacturers recommend that length as well.