Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Open in California?

UCOShooter

USPSA rules limit Divisions to less than the rounds usually only where jurisdictions ban all magazines with greater capacity. In California, grandfathered magazines are legal, so there is no further limitation. In, say, Hawaii, ten rounds is all you're allowed, period, so even Open shoots with a maximum of ten in the magazine.

Most every Nevadan that I know imported their open magazines into California prior to 12/31/99 and left them in the top drawer of the stat shack desk. Since they no longer import them, no harm no foul.

I have hear people disassemble their magazines, import magazine parts, gift them to fellow competitors that are also exempt law enforcement officers. Then use their new buddy's magazines for the match until your new LEO buddy decides he no longer wants them and gifts the pieces back to you. You then return with your parts.

Don't forget to check the garbage cans at your favorite rest area. I have heard stories of both STI and SV parts found there. How lucky would you be????

I am sure there are a few more ways an out of state shooter has competed in Ca without running a foul of current laws. B)

Yeah its a major grey area. As it stands it is not illegal to own or use standard or "high-capacity" mags but it is illegal to manufacture (build from parts, raw material whatever) import (including driving across state lines) or sell. It is legal to replace worn out parts on your legal magazine. Since it is impossible to track when parts were made, it is one of those don't ask don't tell things.

My last local outlaw action pistol match had 55 shooters, only 3 or which were shooting limited 10. There is no way all of those shooters have had their mags since pre 99, and really for us in CA its pre 94... As someone else pointed out, the streets of Oakland and LA aren't being sprayed with .38 Super openguns and .40 cal limited guns. Just show up to a match and you will see that no one cares, lots of shooters are LEO, lots aren't... I have never heard anyone ask about mags from a legal point.