Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Static in powder measure

Fordfan485

I am having horible static problems with my Lee Pro Auto Disk Powder measure( reloading in the garage with the humidty around 40%) . First I tried using a dryer sheet, that did nothing. Then tried some powdered graphite. It seemed to help some with consistency of thown charges with WSF. Its kind of a problem because I can either get 3.7-3.8 grains or with the next size up 4.2-4.3 grains( I should be getting 4.0 with the size disk I am using). When I went to dump the powder back into the can I have a coating of powder stuck to every surface in the hopper. Thinking of trying some Blaster graphite lube next. Has anyone tried this?

I just store used dryer sheets in my hopper now. I think there are at least a half dozen in there at the moment. The first time I just wiped down everything inside and now I shove additional used ones in there. I also wipe down my powder pan that I use with my scale with each sheet that gets shoved in the powder measure. Worked wonders for me.

Hmm maybe the key is USED dryer sheets, I had a box I use for tumbling but none of them are used ( wife hates using them in the dryer).

On a seperate related note: Does anyone have a problem with powder sticking inside of the brass when dumping it onto the powder scale to check charges?. I woudl just dump into the pan that came with the scale but the only way to activate my measure is with a piece of brass going thru the expander/powder thru die.

• 2 weeks later...

I take used dryer sheets and rubber band them on the outside of my powder measure/dispenser. That seems to work fine. I also use a cheap electric tooth brush (also rubber banded to it) to settle the powder. I dont have to run it all the time, only for a while after filling it up. Cmax