Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hand tools for 2011 slide fitting

glassblower

The Brownells 1911 Auto Slide/Frame Rail file is out of stock and I need to fit a slide to a new STI 2011 long/wide frame before the exemption rule expires here in CA on Dec. 31st. What other tools/files will help fit the slide onto the new frame? I am in San Diego if anyone has a tool and is willing to let me borrow for a day. Otherwise I will purchase what is recommended here.

Note, the CA single shot exemption allows handguns not on the CA approved list to be imported in single shot mode, hence the need for a complete build.

Thanks,

Al

If you know a machinist or have access to a surface grinder you could make your own file. Remove material from the top and bottom to .090 thickness making the only cutting edge on the side and do the opposite on the other side of the file. Amazon has some swiss files that could be used.

nice tools from evergladesammo. might pick them up for my 2 tactical machining 80% builds. thanks for sharing that info BrianATL

I just built a TM 80%... save your money, I never used the everglades stone jig, my slide is like glass. After I machined the rails I used a bench stone to take .001 off the top of the rails and I was G2G. use that money for the Barrel lug jig/cutter for your barrel... way better use of money.

when you fit a STI slide to a STI frame you don't need the file.

I fitted 3 of those frames/slides and only needed to stone/mill the frame"s deck -.001" (some sandpaper on a glass plate and fut the frame upside down ), stone/mill the with of the frame rails and stone/mill th underside of the slide.

no work needed on the inside of the slide rails.

fit to the point when the slide goes halfway, don't knock your slide on with a hammer

gr T