Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Frame magwell getting chewed up

G17raider

I've been doing quite a bit of dry fire practice lately and I've noticed that my frame's mag insertion area (instead of "magwell" as it may confuse some as an aftermarket one) is getting a little chewed up by missed mags. Should this be a concern? What can I do other than no miss the well?

Get some snap-caps to use as dummy round (don't try anything else that could be confused for real ammo by mistake). Having them in the magazine when you practice reloads will help to funnel the mag in...and not let it ding things up so much.

Oh...the other thing would be to just miss the hole less. :)

Seriously...instead of making speed the driving factor...make "seeing the mag well" the driving factor.

Also, just practice by bringing the mag right to the point of insertion, but don't insert it. An added benefit of this is you can work on building in the "pause".

Ever considered just practicing on your L10 setup (so you can chew it's replaceable magwell)? They're both glocks with the same mag chute opening anyway, right?

And before you think it :D, I know a magwell can help in reloads...only if you keep practicing on hitting it. Practice hitting the hole instead, like Flex said. ;)

Btw, try Matt B's (or was it Steve A's?), reload pause at the magwell excercise. It really helps.