Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Practiscore match work flow

bikerburgess

Thank you for posting this as I'm gonna steal it!

As a newcomer to Practiscore, I had a few questions so maybe someone can chime in..

1. If Nooks stay on the stage, can you limit that Nook to only display that stage?

2. What prevents shooters from changing other shooter's scores from other squads that have already shot that stage?

3. I assume that you can print from the master tablet to a printer, hooked up to a desktop/laptop, via WiFi?

1, Not in the program but I was told you can delete the other stages on each stage device, I have yet to try this as I have only had 1 problem so far, normally they figure it out when there are the wrong number of targets to score. that said the newer android versions allow you to reassign a score to the correct stage or shooter if it gets input wrong.

2 Nothing (well other than everybody is walking around with a gun on, that seams to make most people pretty honest)

3 Yes if your printer has wi-fi then you can get a printing app to print the scores. if not (or printer doesn't) you can save them to the tablet then plug it into the computer and open the zip file it created and view/print the results from there. the zip file it makes is several separate documents (63 documents for one of our local 6 stage matches) you get combined and division results for each stage as well as overall, categories and classes each on a separate document so you may want to spend a few minutes before your first match figuring out what ones you actually want/need to print

one last thing if you are just getting started, the Android and Apple versions of Practiscore are very different programs they each have features that are not present on the other format and the flow on the tablet while scoring a stage is quite different, If you don't already have the hardware I would suggest playing with both formats efore you decide what direction to go, and if you go with Androids I would suggest that you have access to at least one I device ( Ipod touch, Iphone (it doesn't need to be usable as a phone), Ipad) that way you can generate the activity/classifier report. and take the time before your first match to import your EZWS database that way you don't need to enter every ones data again when you start typing in their name a list of possible matches pops up.

and probably the biggest thing I found is if you are entering a new shooters USPSA number there is no space or dash between the letters and numbers. if you are using online registration I would put that note above the entry field for the users to see. I spent quite a while removing spaces and dashes when we first got started.

We/I started out with Nooks,EzWin and a PC (Laptop)

I recently purchased an IPad. My suggestion, Unless you have a real need to use EzWin, get and Ipad, use it as the "Master" Device, get a sufficient number of Nooks and use them as data collection, they are readable in daylight and the batteries last for a month. If you want to collect data as the day progresses, you can either use a Nook 'Master' or your Ipad. The Ipad has a few features and is more readable than the Nooks for doing the 'backoffice' stuff. It is much simpler.

Just my 2 cents

Perfect, thanks for the great and timely feedback.

I think we're going to go with the IPad Master + stage Nook workflow as that seems to be the easiest and most cost effective. From what I understand, I'll have to root the Nooks to get them to work. Do I need to update and register the Nooks when they arrive and then root them?

Perfect, thanks for the great and timely feedback.

I think we're going to go with the IPad Master + stage Nook workflow as that seems to be the easiest and most cost effective. From what I understand, I'll have to root the Nooks to get them to work. Do I need to update and register the Nooks when they arrive and then root them?

No. RootNScoreIt does the updates for you during install process on the Nooks.

Hey fellas -

A couple of follow-up questions:

1. For this point: 'Sync my Phone to Master tablet and post results to Practiscore.com '. If the Master tablet is an iPad, can you pull scores from there to an Android phone to upload from there?

2. For 'Nooks stay on stage' workflow, I assume that the walk on shooter has to enter their name for every stage since the devices are not connected until final synch at the end. Same thing goes with shooting order, right?

If you have an Android Phone, just load Practiscore on your phone, then you can easily sync the phone to the IPad and email the scores or post them to Practiscore

If you use stage nooks as opposed to squad nooks yes, you dd the walk on/late arrival to each nook, make sure you add them the same way, this is why USPSA Number, Phone or EMail is critical. BTW Walk-ons and Late arrivals can and should be handled differently. We add people to the master right up until we hand out the nooks (well maybe 10 minutes before we pass them out) Then we sync. People that arrive truly late as in after we have put the nooks in the field, have to be added to each nook.

Hey fellas -

A couple of follow-up questions:

1. For this point: 'Sync my Phone to Master tablet and post results to Practiscore.com '. If the Master tablet is an iPad, can you pull scores from there to an Android phone to upload from there?

2. For 'Nooks stay on stage' workflow, I assume that the walk on shooter has to enter their name for every stage since the devices are not connected until final synch at the end. Same thing goes with shooting order, right?

yes you can sync between android and apple and vice versa with no problems.

yes the late shooters have to enter themselves on each Nook, its pretty easy and I just take them to the first stage and show them how. I like them do the the extra work that way they are encouraged to show up on time in the future. once you have all the nooks synced to the master you need to go to the list of shooters and make sure the walk ons have been combined correctly. (if the shooter doesn't enter themselves the same way each time they will show up as separate shooters and you will need to fix that to get them to combine.

Currently the iOS version of PractiScore includes more information when you upload results so I would recommend using that, if available, even if it meant waiting until you got home to post them.

the difference is android uploaded results don't let you search individual results. if you have a android phone you may be able to make it a wi-fi hot spot and then upload the results right from your Ipad, all you need is to have internet connectivity.

Ok, great, thanks! I guess I must have seen an older version or post where they talked about sync problems btw iOS and Android so great to hear that it's resolved. I'll give it a little more thought about which device we'll use to upload.

BTW, speaking of shooters showing up as separate entries, I'm going to be using the Import a CSV option since we're moving from an older Access-based system of shooter data. Since we have a lot of shooters that shoot both Pistol and 3Gun, will the Practiscore import them as separate shooters or the same shooter? For example, Shooter A shoots Limited in Pistol but Open in 3Gun. Will that come in as 1 shooter or separate shooters since the Division field is different?

Ok, great, thanks! I guess I must have seen an older version or post where they talked about sync problems btw iOS and Android so great to hear that it's resolved. I'll give it a little more thought about which device we'll use to upload.

BTW, speaking of shooters showing up as separate entries, I'm going to be using the Import a CSV option since we're moving from an older Access-based system of shooter data. Since we have a lot of shooters that shoot both Pistol and 3Gun, will the Practiscore import them as separate shooters or the same shooter? For example, Shooter A shoots Limited in Pistol but Open in 3Gun. Will that come in as 1 shooter or separate shooters since the Division field is different?

are you going to be importing the registration for each match or are you going to import the whole database at once? if the latter I would separate it by match type first then import it into the appropriate match type in practiscore.

I'd like to do the whole database at once, although your question makes me wonder if I understand the Spreadsheet Import and match structure correctly. When you Import Registration, how do you tie it to the Match Type (USPSA, IDPA, Time Plus, etc.)? Or is the Import Registration tied only to your current Match?

I believe other than importing the EZWS database you are importing into a specific match, that said if you make up a match and import all your shooters into it then they are in the practiscore system on that device for that match type, basically once you enter a shooter into a match on a device, by entering it manually, importing it, or syncing it to another device then the registration data is there from then on.

I asked about getting the database out of practiscore to import into another device and was told to sync the new device to a bunch of matches from the old device to populate its database because there was no database export function.

I think I got the import working although the Divisions don't come in. Oh well, at least it got the names in there so subsequent matches may be correct from now on.

On a related note, do you have to re enter your penalties, bonuses and divisions each time you create a new match? I don't see an option for creating a match type so for 3gun, I select Time Plus Points each time and then do penalties, etc.