Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Looking for to make a new open slide

Mahlsan

I shoot USPSA open minor right now and am looking to step up to shooting major, to do that, I plan on taking advantage of the awesome deal lone wolf has going on right now, free barrel with slide purchase. I have a glock 35 ready for a new top end. I currently have a 9minor open slide on a 17, I am wondering/looking for input on wether to get the new slide to make 9 major or 40? I reload so either one is not a problem. If I get the 40 should it be threaded for a comp or get the pre-ported model ? Any help would be appreciated. I plan on making the purchase by FRiday. I have powder to load 9major and I believe 40 as well, so right now the availability of powder does not play into the decision. Thanks for all of the help in advance.

If you are purchasing the slide why wouldn't you just get it in 9mm to start with. Some people have fantastic results with the conversion barrels while others are plagued by problems. 40 open while nice is handicapped in capacity, sure you can find a place to reload on a field course but every once in a while you might be at a disadvantage. I vote 9.

Hello: One of the things I see with 40 open guns is you need lighter bullets to get less flip in the pistol. I would go with a 9mm setup using 115-124 grain bullets. When I had my Glock 17 open gun I built I found the 115's worked the best with HS-6 powder. It was an ok setup but not near as good as a 2011 setup. I would save your money and convert your open 9 minor gun to major whatever that takes. Then buy more bullets. Thanks, Eric