Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Decided on a P-09 but not sure what cal.

duanejdavis

So I've decided that I want a P-09 but can not decide if I should go 40 or 9. I currently reload for 9mm and want to focus on production. Down the road I want to play the limited game as Im currently shooting limited minor. My local range does bowling pin matches which are fun and I'd also like to try 3-gun. The versatility of the 40 seems to be the obvious choice but I have not seen any reviews on the P-09 40. Any ideas on which direction I should go?

At the price point of the P-09 I would say get the 9 now and if you like the platform get a 40 later to go on into limited. If you decide to go into 3 gun 9 will fit 24 while 40 will fit 21 in the mags using the CZC extensions and spring kit.

I had a P-07 and it was a fantastic little gun I am sure the P-09 is the same way.

I would, and did, go with 9mm for my P-09 and P-07 though mine are honestly for defensive purposes. Might occasionally shoot production or 3 gun with the P-09 but I usually shoot my Tac Sport in limited. Only thing you'd miss with 9mm would be able to shoot major in limited. 9mm would be great for production or 3 gun.

Side note... Has anyone tried a .40 to 9mm barrel swap on a P-09 or P-07? Are the outside diameters of the barrels the same? I looked and the extractors and ejectors are the same part regardless of caliber.

What's not the same is the breechface. When you use a conversion barrel and whatever extractor/ejector/spring combo for "best" function, the result is going to be nowhere near 100% reliability. Once the expended brass clears the back of the chamber, there is nothing but pressure and momentum holding the case against the push of the extractor. The most common jam (and it will be common) is a case turned around and never kicked out of the gun as slide slams forward and crushes that same case.

They might be okay for slightly cheaper practice and for family day-at-the-range, but shooting a conversion barrel is a waste of match fees, travel time, and gas money. It's not the way to go for any sport, any division.