Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

13" TROY ALPHA RAIL

rugerdawg

A quick question for those of you who may have installed a troy rail. I purchased a new barrel nut and 13" Troy rail from my LGS and went home to install it. Well either the barrel nut or rail was a bit out of spec and the rail would not fit over the barrel nut. I probably could have forced it but decided that if I damaged them I could not return them so I took them back. The guys at the LGS were very obliging and offered to install it for me so I agreed. I have used this rail before and remember it fit flush with my upper receiver. Their installation left a 1/32" to 1/16" gap which annoys the heck out of me. I assume I could break the screws loose (locktited blue I think) and attempt to close the gap and retighten. Has anyone else used this rail and had the same issue?

You won't be able to change the gap much, if any. If you look at the retention mechanism you will see that it tensions the handguard in 3 locations between the inside of the barrel nut and a groove inside the handguard. You can rotate it slightly to get side to side perfection but fore and aft will go to a fixed point as you cinch down the 3 clamping screws.