Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

147gr and 150gr SWC OAL length is 1.10 too short?

shinne

I have a new SP01 Custom Shadow and i'm want to know if i'm okay or if I should get my barrel reamed. I'm also new to reloading so please excuse my noobiness.

I want to load 147gr and 150gr just because I like the idea of less recoil feeling from heavy bullets + fast powder. I have lots of Bullseyes and #1 of power pistol which I think is considered fast powders.

I haven't gotten the bullets yet but I want to be prepared a head of time when I do get them I don't have to get a gunsmith and wait.

Currently I'm loading some BBI 125 gr conical nose with an OAL of 1.10. I tried to load it longer but it seems like my barrel doesn't like it. I did a plunk and spin test and this was the longest it would go for it to fall freely.

I just want to know if i'm ok with this length or I should go ahead and try to get my barrel reamed.

Just work up the load, for instance, load ten rounds with 2.5gr of powder, ten with 2.7, 2.9, etc to past where you think you need to be to make minor then shoot them over a chrono collecting the brass and looking at the primers. If the primers are starting to flatten stop and pull the rest of the ammo, if you make your desired power factor stop and pull the rest, if velocity starts to go down, stop and pull the rest. You get the idea.