Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Adding a new division

PatJones

Ok. This post is only vaguely revolver related, but I'm a revolver shooter looking for advice from other revolver shooters.

I've been an active practical shooter for 3 years now and I've never shot a match with anything but a revolver. I've shot other divisions, but always with my 8-shot before the rule change. In the past I've said I wouldn't shoot anything but a revolver until I was classified as an A. I recently made A so I'm considering adding a new division. I know most of you shoot other divisions so I wanted to bounce some thoughts off you.

Limited would be my first choice, but the recent magazine ban in Colorado limits me to production, SS & L10. I don't actually own a bottom feeder legal for USPSA, just a Colt Woodsman and Walther PPK/S. There isn't a lot of competition in L10 locally so I'm looking at Single Stack and Production.

Single Stack provides an opportunity to play with Major scoring, and as an 8-minor shooter this seems appealing. There are a lot of widgets for the 1911 and there is more opportunity for gunsmithing. I am a professional gunsmith, and spending some time with the 1911/2011 system would probably be a good thing. The triggers are very good but they operate differently than the revolvers I'm used to. Single Stack Nationals does currently pair nicely with the revo nats.

I wasn't really looking at production until Sunday when I shot a buddies Glock while practicing. The trigger felt very familiar but my splits were .12-.15, half of what I shoot with my revo. I was very impressed with a gun that has had nothing done to it except a 3.5 connector and different sights. There isn't really much to do to a Glock in Production division, but after fooling with everyone else's guns all week that might be a plus. With the 15 round magazine restriction in Colorado, I'd be looking at shooting .40 loaded minor. I really don't care for the 10 round magazines we have to sell with the 9mm guns, but the .40 caliber guns are available with standard magazines. There are more people shooting Production locally than Single Stack so that's a plus too.

Movement is my Achilles heel in USPSA. I think coming into a position with my eyes up instead of looking down at a moonclip dropping into a cylinder would allow me to work on other aspects of my shooting. The 1911 appeals to me, but my experience with double action shooting potentially gives me a leg up with the striker fired guns. I may end up with both setups, but not right now. I believe that marrying yourself to one piece of equipment is the best way to improve. What else do you guys shoot and why? What is easier to learn to reload, the single stack with a magwell or the big opening of a double stack production gun?

Since you are a gunsmith, I'd do the Glock...... . For instance, you can mod your own trigger bar.... 3.5 connectors, 2x56 set screws on the trigger bar, relocate the pivot pin hole on the trigger bar. A few spring changes and your set to go WITHOUT compromising the built in safety's AND NOT spending $200.00 (IF, you shoot "production"?, You can't do quite so much even so, a trigger bar is only $10/15 bucks). Everything you want for a Glock is inexpensive....There are UTUBE videos on all of the mods. For instance, Buy a G35, 40 S&W. You can get several brands of conversion barrels that will allow you to shoot 9mm lead bullets if you wish out of the G35 and they work. You just need the correct mag for the caliber, (some change the ejector block ($7.00) to 9mm from 40 S&W and some don't). Lot's of "posts" on the Glock mods. I like the Gen 4 versions as I have small hands and switch the mag release to the right side, (you can't do that with the other gens. (1/2/3)... You can add as many doodads as you want to the platform. I like the Tru-Glo fiber sights myself. And then, there is the GSSF shoots.. By only Glock factory made mags, I like the Gen 4 versions as they can be used on all Gens (double sided mag notch's). just picked some Gen 4's for $20 @ CDNN. Have fun!!!!

If I was in your boat, I'd skip over single stack just to change up the 8 reload 8 gig, I'd go with limited if the mag capacities in your area aren't silly, 2nd would be production.

Our magazine limit is 15 rounds. To be honest the new laws are not being enforced, but I'm not willing to skirt the law. 15 rounds doesn't get me through 2 shooting positions without a reload.

From experience, the Glock 35 40 cal in minor is really soft shooting. The Gen 4 will not cycle minor caliber so you will need to order a Jager rod / spring. Might sound like a pain in the ass to fool with buying and changing the rod / spring but I've actually shot some matches in Production using the 40 cal in minor after buying the Jager products. Again .... very soft shooting. I vote to do some soul searching and figure out what you really want to do before spending a bunch of money on a gun, holster, magazines, mag holders ..... etc.