Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Setting up Beretta 92A1 for IPSC Production

Gurkha

Hi Guys,

I shoot a CZ Shadow in IPSC Production as well as USPSA Production. Despite that, I have a few extra IPSC Production legal guns laying around such as a couple Beretta's, a couple Sig p226's and a few Glock 17's which I rarely use so I thought it would be fun to set one of each up as good as I can for IPSC Production. That way I can try them out at some small matches just for the fun.

Now, I am talking about making this Beretta legal for "IPSC" Production, not "USPSA" Production. All the parts other then sights and grips have to be made by Beretta.

I have a 92FS and a 92A1 so the A1 is the better choice for this little project in my opinion. So far I have the set that comes with the steel trigger, D mainspring and new trigger return spring. Is there a lighter firing pin spring or extended firing pin made by Beretta or do I even need it with the D mainspring?

I also bought the skeletonized hammer, I am not sure if that is like a CZ comp hammer or if it is just for looks, I haven't taken the old one out and compared the hooks yet.

I want to get an extended mag release but I haven't been able to find one yet, I see Beretta makes two options, any preferences?

What about other internal parts? I would like a steel guide rod but the one I bought from Beretta only works in the 92FS, I can't seem to find one made by Beretta which will work in the 92A1. Then also a lighter recoil spring might be nice but I can't find any made by Beretta. CZ definitely has a lot more options for factory parts.

Grips, I might go for VZ cause that is what I like to use on my CZ but I am not sure. Sights, I would like a fiber optic front, I see Dawson makes them for the Beretta 92A1 but I haven't been able to find a blacked out rear sight I like.

Then finally, any advice on good places to "de-bur" to improve trigger pull? I can just rip it apart and figure it out myself but any good advice is always appreciated.

Thanks all!

Novak makes the blacked out rear you want. The notch size is .150 so its a little on the large side but its workable.

The EII hammer has the same hooks as the standard hammer only it is lighter which decreases lock time. My light strike issues were alleviated with the EII hammer contrary to what most people say. The lighter hammer accelerates faster.

There is no extended firing pin or reduced power firing pin spring. You shouldnt need these if you run a D spring.

I much prefer the checkered release to the extended EII style release simply because it is larger.

The VZ's are nice grips but they dont have checkering where most people want it and they have a very square profile where the base of your thumb rests on the beavertail area. I found this to be very uncomfortable during shooting.

You can go ahead and take the cap off of the factory 92A1 rod and run it as an "uncaptured" rod.

I know you didnt ask for this, my opinion but man, you're going from a CZ, a gun VERY well suited for IPSC production to a 92A1 which is about the worst production pistol imaginable (for IPSC) I know you're doing this for fun but please, stick with the CZ for everything serious. :)

Haha, don't worry, I won't be taking the beretta to any big matches overseas! Yeah, I'm just silly like that, like to add more challenge on the smaller matches and mix things up to keep it interesting.

Okay, thanks for all the advice. Yeah I was wondering that about the VZ grips, they don't make any like the ones I use on my CZ's.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

where did u get the d-spring and the good hammer

lmk as I need them badly

tks

jjw

pls post here my email form this site is a disaster.