Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

primers 38 special

jo w

i have shot .45 acp these past few years, and decided to return to .38 special for local range fun for a while.

i have a dillon square deal b, federal small pistol primers , clean winchester brass and rainier 158 gn rn bullets. i have to use federal primers due to some trigger work i did on the 686.

the initial reloading session was very frustrating, at least 60% off the rounds required very heavy seating, and 20% of the rounds produced were defective. primers weren't seated properly, mashed in the primer seat, twisted and seated askew, or high primers that wouldn't seat with extra help. i seem to remember this was an issue too when i first reloaded for .38 special, but it can't be normal. any help? thanks

Sounds like you have not got the primer station setup right. Are you sure you have all the parts for the large priming system removed and the parts for the small system installed? Sound sort of like a larger primer part is still in the system (maybe on the shuttle that moves the primers from the feed tube to under the cartridge) letting the primer move around too much. Grab your manual and go through the change process section again maybe that will help locate the problem. When all else fails call up Dillon's help line, they will be more than happy to help trouble shoot your machine.

Somebody posted this on here before. When raising the ram handle, after sizing the brass, let the ram handle settle into the up position, then hesitate for an instant, then make a firm smooth press to seat the primer. Seating the primer is a separate movement from raising the ram handle.

I don't have a Square Deal press, rather a RL550B. If the priming bars on the two are similar I have a suggestion.

On my large priming bar I used a lettering die to impress an 'L' (and an 'S' on the small priming bar). I did this on the top portion nearest me when I'm running the press.

Further, I filled in each of the impressed letters with florescent green paint. It's pretty hard to get them confused now.

Edited by MifflinKid