Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

front sight focus VS hard target focus

3djedi

I'm a C class shooter and I'm really struggling with front sight focus. I finally got the hang of both eyes open shooting and don't have any trouble with front sight focus during dry fire and firing on the range. However my live fire range time consists of an indoor range and single lane out to 25 yards so it's hard to really practice USPSA style shooting.

My problem is as soon as I go to a match and the timer beeps I have a real hard time focusing on the front sight and when I do it feels like I'm a slug. I bet 80% of my shots end up being a hard target focus, maybe more. I'm not happy with my hits most of the time. I feel like I'm rushing and slapping the trigger and, while rarely getting a mike, I do end up with to many C's and occasionally D's.

I only get out to probably one match a month but should I just slow down for awhile and really forget about times and just concentrate on seeing the front sight and calling the shot?

Couple other questions about front sight focus:

1) When you transition, do you go to a target focus and then to front sight when back on the next target?

2) How much would you say you use a front sight focus in USPSA style match? And when do you use target focus?

Thanks!

First of all, forget that nonsense about slowing down to get your hits ... That usually just results in slower times with the same crappy hits. Slowing down is never the right answer. You must train to see faster. There are plenty of drills you can do that are stand and shoot and teach you to transition faster and switch from front sight focus to target focus and back.

Get Ben Stoeger's Skills and Drills and focus on his Ten Drills To Master. When you can meet his listed goal times you're ready to add movement to your training. You should focus on your stand and shoot skills first since if you can't shoot accuractly at speed while standing do you really think that by adding movement into the equation you're going to get better at shooting accuractly at speed?

Target focus vs front sight focus is a very individual thing and is based on your current skill level and will change over time. Next time you're at the range set up some targets at different distances and put yourself on the clock and shoot the targets with a FS focus and target focus and see where you are. However, you must be able to shoot at least 90-95% alphas with whatever focus you choose on demand or that will not be good to use in a match.

Edited by Nimitz

Might be time to find an outdoor range that allows you to practice. Front sight focus and two eyes open isn't needed to excel. But good practice is

eta, to answer question 1 and 2 together

I never focus on my front sight, but I do see them on every shot and can confirm their alignment, they just aren't in sharp focus. doesn't matter the distance or difficulty of the shot

Edited by Supermoto

Might be time to find an outdoor range that allows you to practice. Front sight focus and two eyes open isn't needed to excel. But good practice is

I never focus on my front sight, but I do see them on every shot and can confirm their alignment, they just aren't in sharp focus. doesn't matter the distance or difficulty of the shot

That's kinda what I've been doing. Pretty much just looking through the sights at the target. If shooting with one I closed I can see the target and the sights fairly clearly. With both eyes open it's not so easy.....

That's kinda what I've been doing. Pretty much just looking through the sights at the target. If shooting with one I closed I can see the target and the sights fairly clearly. With both eyes open it's not so easy.....

try magic tape