Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Combat sight picture - covers too much of target

Supranatural

I am practicing with my CCW and home defense guns until I get a gun for competition - I prefer center of mass sight picture but my CCW gun (H&K P2000SK) uses combat sight picture where the gun is sighted for the dot to cover the target. When I use paper targets, the bullseye is actually pretty small in comparison to the dot of the front sight when I'm aiming it so my precision in covering the dot is not very good in that I don't know if it's in the center of the dot or slightly off. I could try concentrating on the concentric rings around the bullseye but it gets hard if I am hard focused on the front sight. Outside of changing the sights that would give me the center of mass sight picture I like (where the top edge of the sight is the aim point and put at the exact center of the target) is there any tricks that could help me with this?

Ben, I shoot OPEN, with a red dot.

But, I got an opportunity three years ago to shoot a GM's Limited gun ...

He had what I thought was The Perfect Solution to front sights (for me) ...

He had a very small ( 0.08") fiber optic front sight ...

That looked an awful lot like a dot on my Open gun.

Put the small dot where you want the bullets to go, and they did ...

Loved it. If I were to shoot Limited (or iron sights) again (which I doubt

since I'm a Super Senior and love my red dot), that's the front sight I'd

select.

It goes against the grain of what you said you're looking for - you don't

want to use the dot because it's huge, but you want to use the top edge

of the front sight. That's what I used to believe also - shot the top of the

sight for 60 years. BUT, this small fiber optic was Fantastic - give it

a try, and I think you'll love it. I did ...

I am practicing with my CCW and home defense guns until I get a gun for competition - I prefer center of mass sight picture but my CCW gun (H&K P2000SK) uses combat sight picture where the gun is sighted for the dot to cover the target. When I use paper targets, the bullseye is actually pretty small in comparison to the dot of the front sight when I'm aiming it so my precision in covering the dot is not very good in that I don't know if it's in the center of the dot or slightly off. I could try concentrating on the concentric rings around the bullseye but it gets hard if I am hard focused on the front sight. Outside of changing the sights that would give me the center of mass sight picture I like (where the top edge of the sight is the aim point and put at the exact center of the target) is there any tricks that could help me with this?

Maybe shoot a heavier bullet which will move POI up slightly?

The FO is very nice in red. I've recently bought a gun that has a green dot and it seemed hard to see. But if you are wanting to see the entire target I'd say it's less of a distraction and more of a point and shoot. Very close to a sight that you would normally shoot from the top.