Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Flying with two scoped rifles.... New baggage policies are scary!

Beacon22

I am seeing that the new baggage policy for Delta, US Airways and AA for oversized baggage imposes a $200 fee. Oversized baggage according to them is anything larger than 62" (L+W+H). I flew Delta in February with a clearly oversized Pelican case and was not charged an oversized baggage fee. I have heard from other people that the airlines are not hassling people as of yet traveling with oversized firearm cases.

Does anybody have experience flying lately with a large rifle case on any of these three airlines? I ask because I am flying to Dallas on Nov 14th, then to Montana on Nov 18th and then back home on Nov 24th. The policy reads $200 oversized baggage fee for each leg of the trip?

You need to research the rules extremely well before you go and have copies with you. There have always been some exceptions to oversized overweight bags and you need to know what they are.

Two years ago, I flew from Philadelphia PA to Billings MT with a large rifle case. I expected to have trouble in Philly, but I just checked in early and the guy quickly checked my rifle case and had me lock it. Then he tagged it and sent me over to TSA. No extra charge for the bag.

Coming back, the clerk was going to charge me both over sized and over weight. This is at the airport in Billings where hunters come in and out all the time. Fortunately, I had kept my receipts from Philly and I pulled them out and showed him no extra charge. He shrugged and said they probably knew more than he did so he didn't charge me the extra fees.

Edited by Graham Smith