Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Weight of 9mm magazines

bronson630

My 34 with a tungsten rod weighs exactly the limit for uspsa production. Just thought I might be able to cut a small amount of weight. Without removing it from the front.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by bronson630

• 2 weeks later...

Well I have several 1st gen mags, and could weigh them and post a pic, but you don't really want them for competition. You have to rip them out, great for carry, but not competition.

What keeps them from dropping out?

The big thing if you're close to weight is "Don't run 10-round mags". Those things have much thicker sidewalls, so they weigh a LOT more.

I am amazed that you're that close on weight with just a Tungsten Rod and (I assume) steel sights and a plug. Gen3 or 4? I am almost 0.75 ounce under on my Gen3, with those mods. My tungsten goes all the way to the end of the slide too; it's not a 17/22 model.

Well I have several 1st gen mags, and could weigh them and post a pic, but you don't really want them for competition. You have to rip them out, great for carry, but not competition.

What keeps them from dropping out?

The metal sleeve is u shaped, ie, only the front and sides are metal, unlike the 'drop free' which is a full metal tube. So when you load the 1st gen mags they swell a little in the back where the counting holes are and tend to stick in the gun (good for carry/bad for competition). I have a couple laying around where the backs have split out completely along the counting holes. They still work, but like I said, you have to rip them out.That's why the early Glocks had a moon cut in the frame grip front so as to grab the mag with a finger. Some guys dremeled out a moon cut on sides of the grip for the same purpose.

Edited by 9x45

The big thing if you're close to weight is "Don't run 10-round mags". Those things have much thicker sidewalls, so they weigh a LOT more.

I am amazed that you're that close on weight with just a Tungsten Rod and (I assume) steel sights and a plug. Gen3 or 4? I am almost 0.75 ounce under on my Gen3, with those mods. My tungsten goes all the way to the end of the slide too; it's not a 17/22 model.

I have a gen4 34 with a tungsten guide rod and it weighs 28oz exactly. just trying to drop a minor amount so when I go to a major i dont go overweight.

The only full size gen 2 mags I have are .40. I would think the 9mm are the same...

Gen 4 mag (ambi mag release)

76.9g

Gen 3 mag

78.1g

Gen 2 mag (round cutout at top)

53.9g

...so it looks like you will save around three quarters of an ounce if you can find enough old mags...

The only full size gen 2 mags I have are .40. I would think the 9mm are the same...

Gen 4 mag (ambi mag release)

76.9g

Gen 3 mag

78.1g

Gen 2 mag (round cutout at top)

53.9g

...so it looks like you will save around three quarters of an ounce if you can find enough old mags...

Thanks, that is the info I was looking for