Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Performing Your Best

XRe

I thought I'd share a little gem I was turned on to when I was pursuing my M card several years ago....

The book's called "Performing Your Best" by a guy named Tom Kubistant. The original pressing was subtitled "Psychological Skills for High Achievers". The book's out of print, but you can find it used pretty easily - here's a link to Amazon for the book.

However, I've read a bunch of other performance psychology stuff, and this is by far the best book I've read on the subject. It's clear and concise, written in plain english, and is full of real examples and suggested exercises to address the various issues that you might have running around in your cranial vault. Kubistant manages to pack just about everything you need to know into the 230-ish pages of text, and includes an extensive bibliography if you want to read more.

You'll also find interesting parallels between this book and Brian's :)

Edited to say: I've now read Bassham's "With Winning In Mind". I'd say the two books complement each other nicely. Right now, I think the best way to compare/contrast would be that Bassham's book is a description of a system for mental management, with enough info to understand why and how the system works. I liked reading it a lot, and got a lot out of it. The Kubistant book covers the same topics, but in a different way - perhaps the best way I can describe it is more "conversational" in writing style. The Bassham book seems terse, in comparison. Being that it's 80 pages longer, with more text per page, there's a little bit more information in there - perhaps more analogies, etc, and more background information, without becoming overbearing. I'm currently using *both* books, if that tells you anything... ;)

If you pick this up, and find it useful, drop me a note and let me know....

Dave

Edited by XRe

• 1 year later...
I thought I'd share a little gem I was turned on to when I was pursuing my M card several years ago....

The book's called "Performing Your Best" by a guy named Tom Kubistant. The original pressing was subtitled "Psychological Skills for High Achievers". The book's out of print, but you can find it used pretty easily - here's a link to Amazon for the book.

If you pick this up, and find it useful, drop me a note and let me know....

Dave

Here's a funny, that's actually happened more than once. My book arrived yesterday, I go to put itin the shelf, with my other mental training books I've collected....and it's already there. :huh:

Seems I found it in a search of Amazon a year ago. Oh well, I have two copies of Nightmover too, and of this and of that....

Thanks anyway Dave, this time Iwill read it.

Here's a funny, that's actually happened more than once. My book arrived yesterday, I go to put itin the shelf, with my other mental training books I've collected....and it's already there. :huh:

That *is* too funny :) Now you have a copy to share with a bud... :)

• 4 weeks later...

I'm only about 25 pages in but so far I love this book.

The chapter on "Optimal vs. Max vs. Peak" is worth the price alone. He defines optimal as everyday, consistent do-able, like driving your car at 55mph for best milage. Max, is an attempt to gain results at any cost (ie, the crash or win "swing at the fence"), and Peak can't be controlled or scheduled it just happens. But you can set yourself up through practice and prep so it happens more often.

So, max is too unpredictable, plan to shoot optimal all the time. Practice to make that optimal better and better. When a peak (or zone) lands in your lap, enjoy it. B) Shades of Brian's book.

• 4 weeks later...

Dave,

They had Kubistant’s book at the library and like you, I found it to be very readable. I will probably buy a copy so I can make notes in the margin and fill out the many lists. I especially liked his take on attitude:

My attitudes and beliefs are self-fulfilling prophecies: if I believe I can do something, chances are I will. If I don’t I won’t.

Not a direct quote but serviceable. Lots of other advice on positive self-talk. Thanks for the tip.

David C