Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock 34 Holster

Clay1

I said that I wasn't going to compain and that I was just going to move forward - can you tell that I really, really want to pitch a fit still - BUT I won't.

I need a new holster for my G34. I could try to modify my belt tunnel "full of light", but I am thinking that I might just shoot that one in USPSA and not cobble it up. Then again the idea of switching back and forth between two holsters probably isn't the way to go either. I bought my current holster in December of 04 - I'm getting close so I better count - calm ocean, calm ocean 3, 2, 1 ...

OK, OK so what do I buy because I still am a gamer at heart. Yes, you might not like it that I play to win this game, but I happen to be a competitive spirt. If that makes me less of a REAL combatant - I don't care. I want a kydex holster that will not interfer with my Dawson Adjustable sights and something that is FAST still. Can those of you that have been around longer than this new guy point me in the right direction? Here's what I am considering: http://www.comp-tac.com/index.html The one they call their Belt Holster. So what do you guys think? Thanks

I was going to buy another pair of mag holders anyhow for USPSA, because you really need more than two, so I will buy the next two for IDPA and make them my backup mag carriers for USPSA so I will have 4 total.

Rick Ingle

I use a Blade-Tech Standard Belt Holster for carry, USPSA Production, and IDPA. It's a straight-drop rig and fast as hell. I just received a Comp-Tac Speed Belt Holster for an article, and if I wasn't already totally satisfied with the Blade-Tech I'd be using that. One thing I like about Comp-Tac is Gregg's willingness to accommodate customers' needs. For instance, when I picked up my Blade-Tech holster (I live about a 15-minute drive from the shop), they refused to bend the belt loops inward for me to more closely grip the belt (now absolutely required to be legal in IDPA, natch) or to straighten out the inward curving clamshell "scallop" into the trigger guard for a smoother draw. Had to do all that myself with the trusty cigarette lighter. By contrast, I told Greeg what I wanted, he said "Okay." Gotta love that.

So it sounds like I wasn't too far off with Comp-Tac; sounds like a no brainer. Now for specific holsters. I see that Matt Burkett likes the locking paddle. I was considering the "Belt Holster". What is everyone's favorite Comp-Tac and why? Thanks

Clay - At the risk of being called a smarta$$ - though I'm usually characterized as a dumba$$, can't win either way :o - my favorite is the CTAC. Not what you're looking for, but you did ask!

For what you want, I'd go with either the regular paddle holster or the settable cant one. The settable cant is legal since it has to be removed from the belt and adjusted by removing and relocating screws. I actually used one with my issue M9 while deployed in Afghanistan, and it wasn't bad. With the belt attachment, I doubt that there would be a problem with light.

There seems to be some "wait and see"warranted on paddles.

By the letter of the rules most paddles won't be legal because there will probably be some light in the tunnel (perhaps a little heat gun magic can fix this).

However, I have seen a few e-mails flying around with ACs talking about "using common sense with holsters". The problem with common sense is that it isn't that common, so I'm betting we haven't heard the last of this issue.

When the spring/summer matches start and MD's start being hard asses to avoid people crying about un-even application of the rules, this will all likely come to a head.

The other thing is that there is going to be a fat man and skinny man problem. A holster that works on a fat guy (or even fattish guy like me) may not work on a skinny guy - it will likely fail the 3/4 rule. The one that works on the skinny guy may not work for the fat guy because of the light tunnel problem. I'm seeing this with local shooters and hearing about it from others.

Hapy happy joy joy!

Comp-Tac's locking paddle interests me for the easy on, easy off feature and it's proven speed. But the belt holster seems to fit the rules with the least muss and fuss.

Directly from the final rules: "The Safariland model 5183, Wilson Combat Practical and the De Santis Pro Fed typify pouch style holsters that meet IDPA criteria." Which Comp-Tac is closest to these. Still open to all holsters that meet the new criteria, but again, I am buying a gamer's holster. That is my intension from the beginning and I make no apologies for it.

I did a search for the Safariland model 5183 and the DeSantis Pro Fed and guess what? Neither holster is even made for a Glock 34. The most popular weapon at the IDPA nationals for 2004. I'm not complaining much just stating a point. I won't buy a Billy holster because he is making me buy a new one in the first place. OK, not complaining is a work in progress for me, but it is still greatly subdued believe me.

Ted, there are so many good things that the new rule book has done. Explainations are better, old questions have been answered or clarified. I can see that a ton of work went into it. More good than bad, but when the outcome hits me in the pocket book, the hair on the back of my neck just stands up and even though I have vowed to move forward everytime this holster issue comes up it just grates me.

I recieved the best news today. Mark Miller of Mach 2 tactical wrote and told me that he would be able to modify my currently illegal holster and my currently illegal mag pouches to be in compliance. Best news in a couple of weeks. The sad point is that the mag holders were not "IDPA approved" by .2" The bad guy isn't going to do the home invasion or car jacking armed with a damn measuring tape. Sending it in is just frustration. Mark's a great guy though - check out his web page: http://www.m2tactical.com/

Ted, there are so many good things that the new rule book has done. Explainations are better, old questions have been answered or clarified. I can see that a ton of work went into it. More good than bad, but when the outcome hits me in the pocket book, the hair on the back of my neck just stands up and even though I have vowed to move forward everytime this holster issue comes up it just grates me.

I recieved the best news today. Mark Miller of Mach 2 tactical wrote and told me that he would be able to modify my currently illegal holster and my currently illegal mag pouches to be in compliance. Best news in a couple of weeks. The sad point is that the mag holders were not "IDPA approved" by .2" The bad guy isn't going to do the home invasion or car jacking armed with a damn measuring tape. Sending it in is just frustration. Mark's a great guy though - check out his web page: http://www.m2tactical.com/

Yes, much of the new rulebook is improved over the old one, but the way it was done, and the fact that much was either left, or worse, made, more vague is frustrating to say the least. Throw in the extra coin and/or time that most will have to spend to be compliant, and I'm infuriated. I don't care how much money for new equipment, or time for modifications is spent, it is too much if your equipment was compliant previously, and I don't mean the UM holsters that were never on the list, or any that were changed after making the list, those weren't compliant to begin with.

:angry:

See what I mean? Maybe not, I edited the language and length of this for television. :wacko:

Ted

P.S. Thanks for the link, will check it out.

I see what you mean Ted. I do realize that if "I" focus on it anymore than I am already it is going to turn into a festering, nasty sore. I can't change anything now - I wrote letters - it's done. Now, I can say that I won't shoot IDPA anymore, but what does that do except deprive me of another shooting opportunity.

I'll modify my current equipment to meet spec - think that it can be done. I don't like the idea of having to do it, but I really think that it can be done. I do still get mad about it, but I think it is only hurting me. What I should be doing is more dry fire practice and more live fire and shooting every damn shoot within a couple of hour drive - no matter if it is IDPA, USPSA or some new organization that is started in as a result of the disappointment with IDPA. Bring them on the more the merrier. It should be about the shooting. Like I said, I am still having a hard time getting past it.

What is everyone's favorite Comp-Tac and why?
Which Comp-Tac is closest to these. Still open to all holsters that meet the new criteria, but again, I am buying a gamer's holster. That is my intension from the beginning and I make no apologies for it.

The Speed Belt Holster absolutely meets the IDPA criteria. Be aware that, at least a few weeks ago when I talked to Gregg, the Speed Belt Holster wasn't on his site, but it does indeed exist. Thing about this rig is, it makes a great competition holster - straight drop, fast draw - but it's also body hugging enough it can make a great concealment rig, as well.

Duane, thanks for the holster comment and bring the post back to the topic at hand. I've been trying to research the Safariland 560/561, but don't think that they make one for the G34. I don't want to get too much in a hurry and buy just the first thing that I find. We do have until April 15th - that's a good thing. I have three shoots this month. Hopefully I can see some of the alternative holsters at these events.

I've been trying to research the Safariland 560/561, but don't think that they make one for the G34.

Actually they do. They're sending me one for an article. Safariland actually makes two different versions of the CustomFit, one intended for 1911s, and one for Glocks. Of course, they offer different sizes within the "types". Since this is an adjustable fit holster, any auto pistol with a slim slide could fit in the "1911" holster, anything with a fat slide in the "Glock". Given the relative size of the trigger guards (1911 vs. Glock) I'd bet the Glock equivalent to Safariland's "Commander" sized CustomFit would fit a G34. And when I talked to the Safariland rep a fews days ago, he told me that was indeed the case.

But really, I'd seriously suggest the Comp-Tac Speed Belt Holster over the Safariland CustomFit. The CustomFit is a great holster to have around when suddenly you find yourself with an auto pistol for which you don't have a dedicated holster. A bit of twiddling on the CustomFit, voila!, you have a holster for it. But for a competition rig, it's not the greatest IMHO. It holds the gun quite high and at an FBI tilt, both of which are inferior, speed-wise, to the Comp-Tac Speed Holster's (or Blade-Tech Standard Belt Holster's, for that matter) much lower ride and straight drop.