Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Eyes, and faster trigger finger ?

BOOM

It must be the ?, BUT;Yes shooting subconsciously ; because of practices drills either live fire, or dry fire drills. You'll see enough and trigger intuitively .. Like learning to drive you see enough to move lane to lane navigating through traffic but there is NO hard focus its instinctive. These types of motor skills pick up speed as we spend more time behind the wheel, or gun . I'd like (help finding tools, books, videos, exct to improve.

Cadence shooting is fine BUT fast cadence shooting is what you want. You dont want to slow down your splits so much youe loose time just to make the trans and splits find a cadence. I'm saying dont get caught up in just shooting targets in cadence. First shoot em as fast as you can get the hits you want. cadence will help to speed up transitions. Cheers.

Maintaining a cadence is great. It helps with control, timing, and helps you to find the speed at which you start to lose the sight. Shooting with a metronome is great for this, but a metronome and establishing a cadence isn't typically enough to stop thinking about shooting. A metronome is pretty damn boring after all.

Listening to music is the best way I've found to let go with the conscious mind and learn to shoot without conscious effort. It's an active form of meditation. When your thinking about the music, you're not thinking about shooting. I suspect that listening to the car radio does more for new drivers becoming proficient behind the wheel than even the amount of time they spend on the road. In order to master something you need to let go and not think about it. Active meditation on something else is the easiest way to do that, and music is the best subject to distract your conscious mind with, since its easy to let go and let music be a fully immersive experience. I recommend Pink Floyd, or something slow and classical when training for speed because it also relaxes the mind against rapid twitchy actions, and encourages a smooth flow to your movements, even when those actions are performed quickly.

• 3 weeks later...

I was taught by my trainer that during dry fire I should focus on speed over sight picture. Now that isn't to say I don't check on where the gun ends up, but it isn't my primary focus. Slowly through repetition I was landing closer on target over time. I was using a 0.80 par time and now I'm down to 0.50. Now I'm beginning to see the sights at that speed. A 1.25 first shot used to be a big deal, now 0.90 is operating speed. The whole intent was to push my mechanical speed in practice so during a match I took a little more time to see the front sight and I'm not much slower than full speed.

Hard to admit Games have a purpose in reaction time ; and will have to try dry firing with distracting music. Stared to practice point shooting for closer targets also working on indexing the sights every where the gun is pointed. Building a good shooting stance,and grip. Trying to establish muscle memory along with some eye exercises. That's it :o

depending on what you mean by 'point shooting' that is a really bad idea. point shooting has no place in our sport. every shot must be aimed, no matter how close or how fast. there needs to be some sort of sight picture on a target before you pull the trigger, the trick is to learn what sight picture you need for what target so you can go as fast as possible and still make the shot.

Since you can't or should I say, shouldn't, pull the trigger until your sights tell you to, why do you think you have a trigger finger speed problem? I would suspect your actual issue is not being able to get the sights on target quick enough and have an adequate sight picture to execute a second or even initial shot.

Try this at your next range session. Point the gun at the berm (no target) and on the start signal shoot 6 shots as fast as you can and look at your splits. If they are anywhere around .25 secs or better your trigger finger speed ain't your issue. Drills focused on high speed grip control and sight management will increase your shooting speed

I hear that a lot on here. However, come up to a close hoser array and shoot .25 splits against the guy who's finger works faster (I have friends that can do a .11 on hosers) and you leave that spot almost a half second behind. 4 arrays like that and you walk off the COF 2 seconds behind.

If your friend can rip .11 splits with any consistency you (me too) are done. Lol you need to find that 2sec somewhere else. I don't have that fast finger too. Good for us those stages are once in a blue moon. Cheers?.

The other places to look are everywhere. Still a fast finger when its needed, like that 25 year old burst of speed I don't have, helps a bunch. Saying it doesn't matter or your finger is fast enough is not true. If you do everything else perfectly, it may not matter as much but it matters. Everything from the beep to the ULSC matters.

Bob vogel; With time a practice you'll learn to index the gun well enough that he never really sees the rear sight when shooting closer targets @ 25yde that's different he sees them some what.. That's the GOAL :D