Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stock cleaning

buckaroo45

I know this is kinda off the regular benos thread but this should be a short answer. I recently purchased an Ithaca 4E for trap shooting. Having been made in 1916 there is a build up of general crud on the wood and checkering. I don't want to refinish or harm the original finish, just clean it up. I've already heard Murphy's Oil Soap or Pure Tung Oil (not the finish types as they contain varnish) either of which should be applied sparingly with cheesecloth in circular motion. Any other suggestions or experience?

I've used the Murphy's oil soap on some really grimey stocks, and works good. Followed by a good oil to rub in. On some really bad stocks, I start with paint thinner sparingly on a rag, then the Murphy's, then the oil. This is an old Higgins shotgun I restored for someone that was exposed in a flooded basement after a hurricane. Besides the years of crud and grime, there was mold all over the stock. Paint thinner, Murphy's oil soap, then rubbing with oil, made this gun look almost new. No sanding or any other finishing done.

post-31808-0-25793800-1414348508_thumb.j